New Beeny prog tonight ...

Electrocuted?

funkyoldcortina

Oh, nothing worth commenting on really. There was a lot of work went into the kitchen and bathroom as well and just general stuff like that. As I said, Beeny was there probably 8 times all told. During the first couple of months, they were all there every week for a day each time, so an awful lot of footage must have been actually shot, so I was surprised that they dwelt so much on the couple of issues that they did.

I don't know the guy personally, although he is a 'familiar face', but they seemed to go out of their way to show him as lazy and feckless. A good friend of ours knows the couple well, and said that they are nothing like they were portrayed, and that he actually works very long and hard in his own business.

I'm glad that they didn't dig the road up in the end to sort that drainage problem. It's one of the main roads into the village, and it's a bloody nightmare getting down it just with the parking all down one side, so it would have been chaos with it dug up as well ...

I'm actually quite surprised that there was a 'water table' issue, given that the property is located pretty much at the top of a hill. To the right of it, looking from the front, the land falls away probably 60 or more feet in about a hundred yards, although I suppose that it is pretty level to the left, behind and in front.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

It works well if one side is pointed to deep space & other side to the sun, like the space station. At more temperate climates it is pretty ruddy useless. Could have been product placement, makes me wonder if something "fell through" on the program as it was so sparse on technical information.

First the problem, the rotted floor. Second the cause, the lack of cross-ventilation (perhaps due to proximity to road) and soil too close to the floor. Third the solutions, a) dig-out, DPC, vent & insulate between joists or b) dig-out, insulate, cement-screed. I assume periscope vents could have been used to ventilate below floor level.

Amusing to compare it to Grand Designs or Tommy Walsh. A sort of "aren't we lucky, the neighbour came in and dug the floor out because we had forgotten to mention it".

No mention of RCD protection for the pump on what looked like an very old fusebox.

Reply to
js.b1

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember funkyoldcortina saying something like:

not be surprised if the roofs were live, too.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

On Aug 11, 6:35=A0pm, "js.b1" wrote

Was it a proper sump pump or something off a local market stall?

The problem with sump pumps is in the event of a power cut ...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I think it was just a standard "draper with float switch".

Reply to
js.b1