Network Switch in Loft?

No it wouldn't, it would be of a lone naked reader sharing a polygamous marriage with several women (whose nakedness is unknown).

Reply to
Bob Mannix

f****it?

I suspect he just read the thread...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

If it doesn't have a fan (& therefore suck in all the fibres) I'd wager that it'll be absolutely fine.

Against better judgement I cleared my office of various bits of kit this year, putting them up into the loft and intending to get around to insulate it (gets pretty hot up there in the summer). Of course, I didn't get around to insulating it (it's pretty close to top of the list now)!!

Kit consisted of 3 PCs, a Sun workstation, monitor, KVM switch & network switch.

Despite reaching some pretty hairy temperatures up there all have continued to perform perfectly well - the sun box & firewall pc have been up & working continuously without so much as a reboot since being moved. I know that I'm pushing my luck, though.

But of all of them, the switch is probably the thing I worry about the least.

Reply to
RichardS

It's not called "Solaris" for nothing, you know.....

One solution to this is to construct an enclosure and to then duct air into it from outside and from the enclosure to the outside.

I've done this in a slightly different application and used a fan controller with analogue temperature sensor such that the fan speed alters to control the temperature within reason.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Or how about:

"And there's little point in getting the spelling right if inappropriate or absent punctuation conveys an erroneous meaning"?

Reply to
Andy Wade

Can I play?

CORRECT SPELLING SECONDARY TO NONMISLEADING PUNCTUATION STOP

Will

Reply to
Will Dean

"Andy Hall" wrote

Thanks Andy

This all sounds too time consuming as I am trying to sort heating problems and plan a kitchen as well. Having sifted through the "constructive" posts in this thread, I am inclined to put some sort of cover over the switch/matrix to reflect heat and add netting to any other openings to stop spiders/dust. The switch has two cooling fans - Netgear FS508 IIRC, so my concern is to avoid dragging crap through the unit.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Err, yes, but...

... the English language must be used. Where's your verb? And no need to shout, or was that sent over a Telex-to-Usenet gateway? How, precisely, does a non-misleading punctuation stop differ from a misleading one?

Oh, hang on, this isn't cam.misc is it? I'd better get m'coat...

Reply to
Andy Wade

ah, I thought it was called that 'cos the sun shone out of it's.... oh, never mind!

yep, I could do that, might be an interesting project & I could add a bit of vibration transmission curtailment under the enclosure whilst I'm at it (straight onto an amplifying chipboard floor I can hear the disk chirrupping away when Domino kicks in with it's maintenance at 1am and 2am).

however, in the meantime it would just distract me from the job that I know really makes sense - proper insulation. So, its a carrot at the end of the insulation stick for me!

Reply to
RichardS