Neighbours refuse access to maintain shared drain

2.47 acres to the ha (100x100m)
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Hard to see why they might object unless they are hoping to avoid some hefty bills.

We had some outlying land which had a shared treatment plant in one corner. For some reason this had to be renewed involving an excavator re-doing the weeper trenches. At a guess about 20k for the farmhouse and

3 cottages.
Reply to
Tim Lamb

Yes, but they need fire arms certificates. And a complaint to the police might well cause the certificate to be cancelled and the guns conviscated.

Reply to
Michael Chare

Anyway it's not the farmer that's the problem, is it. It's the neighbour.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I think you can put up agricultural buildings under Permitted Development rights once you get to that size.

A residence is a horse of a different water. Outside greenbelt/AONBs etc. you might get a modest house restricted to use by a farmer/worker in agriculture or a forester. They would also be able to live in a restricted use house once retired.

In practice, local planning would consider the availability of nearby housing and whether it was necessary for livestock management reasons.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Well maybe you need to have them look at their terms and conditions. It would be a shame to fall out over such a silly thing as this as the outcome of leaving it will, one supposes eventually affect them all and give everyone a much higher bill to pay than dealing with it together now. Tact is required here I think, as nobody wants to have an unexpected bill, but I'd have thought if such a clause were in my terms and conditions, I'd have a joint insurance policy for this eventuality. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

Yes only the drains on a main drainage system were taken over, if you use other methods of dealing with your sewage that remains the responsibility of the owners or whatever. Unless of course these people feel its some kind of scam, but its hard to see that would be the case if its obviously from you. A meeting perhaps? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa

You have right of access so just go, preferably when they are out!

Mike

Reply to
Muddymike

Absent an emergency - and one where he has reason to think access allows him to do something useful about it - the bit about "giving reasonable notice" needs to be considered.

Reply to
Robin