Neighbours refuse access to maintain shared drain

Two neighbours have refused me access to maintain shared drain. I sent them a notification that I wanted to insert a camera and maybe lift some manhole covers but they refused, one phoned the drainage company and told them not to do it.

We have rainwater getting into our sewage pipe and flushing the septic tank into a farmer's field whenever it rains, which is illegal with a £30,000 fine and 6 months prison!

All the properties deeds say something like "successors in title to the property hereby conveyed and the adjoining property of the Vendors will jointly maintain all pipes cables and other services the use of which is common between the said properties and will share equally as between such properties the cost of such maintenance repair and renewal of such pipes cables and services and the right to enter upon each others property for the purpose of carrying out repairs to such pipes cables and other services upon giving reasonable notice (except in the case of an emergency when immediate entry will be permitted) making good any damage occasioned by such entry"

Reply to
George Miles

Time to invest in the actions of a solicitor.

Or if you want to save money, try sending an email to snipped-for-privacy@bbc.co.uk or any of the newpapers property experts for their opinion.

I'm sure you would have no problem getting a court injunction against your beligerant neighbours and probably recover the costs of such actions from them too.

Reply to
Andrew

Also cross post to uk.legal too

Reply to
Andrew

I agree with all the above, but just a thought: the farmer will also have a solicitor. Are you on good terms with the farmer? If so, a quiet word saying something like "my bloody neighbours won't let me investigate this" might be enough to get him to ask his solicitor to send a very rude letter (probably to all of you, but you already know you have a problem). This is assuming he's a person of some substance, rather than a man and a sheepdog on subsistence income.

Reply to
newshound

On Sun, 06 Dec 2020 12:26:21 +0000, newshound wrote: This is assuming he's a person of some substance,

That's rather unkind.

Reply to
jon

On whose land is the septic tank?

Two ideas spring to mind

(i) spend £8000 on your very own modern sewage treatment system and disconnect entirely from the shared system

(ii) spend £8000 on lawyers letters to sue them for failure to comply with their covenants.

Experience suggests that the former is the better course. By taking over your own sewage treatment, any issues will not be your problem and you can cheerfully report them to the environment agency who will probably insist that they too implement a modern sewage retirement solution

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do you need permission at all? What you quote suggests you have a right of entry (upon giving reasonable notice). Could you not give them seven days' notice and proceed anyway, on the basis that if they call the police, they will say it's a 'civil matter'. Or you could speak to the police first to check they view it as a civil matter.

Reply to
Scott

Not meant to be unkind, just pointing out it would not always be an appropriate strategy.

A letter saying "We act for the Duke of Borchester and it has come to our notice that...." would probably get the right reaction.

Reply to
newshound

Well no, its reality. A 'farmer' can range to anything from the CEO of a major farming business farming thousands of acres with a turnover in millions, to a man who lives on a few chickens sheep and pigs and a little cash crop on the side who owns a smallholding and a share in a tractor..

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sewage *treatment* solution...bloody spoil chickens

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

How about talking your local council's Environmental Heath department?

Reply to
charles

I though the water companies took over responsibility for shared drains a few years ago?

Reply to
Andy Burns

only if connected to main (public) sewage network

Reply to
Robin

Excellent idea - and persuade them to issue an enforcement notice against both parties. The neigbours could then end up paying 50% when at the moment they could be paying nothing. That's my idea of a negotiation - Nemo me impune lacessit.

Reply to
Scott

I think 5ha is the minimum requirement to be treated as a *farmer* by such as the local planning authority.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

With or without buildings ?

What is the classification of a 'hobby' farmer ?

Reply to
Andrew

Not those connected to private sewage systems

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

is that about 25 acres?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No, 5 Hectares

Reply to
Andrew

Don't lots of farmers have shotguns? ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News