Need to strengthen water pipe attachment?

Tap on sink is held on with a plastic knurled nut, copper pipe is then soldered to tap connection. The plastic nut cracked and fell off (and got lost) so tap is loose fitting on the sink. Any way I can easily secure this fitting for a few months as I intend to refurbish the bathroom spring next year. I am not confident with plumbing so looking for a non plumbing short term fix.

Reply to
ss

sugru?

Reply to
Andy Burns

I pity a man with plastic nuts, they're a bit useless. Silicone is the usual bodge.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Metal or porcelain sink? If porcelain, and if you can more or less fill the clearance between the threaded bit and the porcelain with silicone, that should be fine. Depending on the layout of the copper, you might be able to do that from the top just by pulling the tap upwards while you inject, if so stop silicone spilling from the bottom with a ring of twirled up kitchen towel or loo roll.

Reply to
newshound

And why does he need taps if he has a bathroom spring?

Cheers

Reply to
Clive Arthur

Epoxy putty?

alan_m

replying to ss, Iggy wrote: Just a Hose Clip (

) of larger size tightened on will secure it quite permanently or definitely until you get a replacement metal nut on there.

Reply to
Iggy

the mind boggles

Reply to
tabbypurr

replying to tabbypurr, Iggy wrote: Please explain.

Reply to
Iggy

Iggy wrote in news:twvXB.197611$ snipped-for-privacy@fx21.am:

If turning the tap on and off is trying to twist the pipe then you may end up breaking the pipe joint.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

replying to DerbyBorn, Iggy wrote: I figured that might be 1 of his, possibly negative, explanations. But, I've never had to wrestle a tap like that and the complaint is just that its flopping around, not that its affecting operation. A soldered joint is quite strong and resilient. Maybe, tabby was purring and thought it was a great fix that he should of brained.

Reply to
Iggy

Thats the part I am trying to temporarily stiffen, to stop any twist. Its ok when I use it as I can hold the tap but when friends stop over I cant trust the beggars.

Reply to
ss

any chance of a picture?

Reply to