Need help igniting a Patio gas Heater

Picked up one of those cheapie Lidl patio heaters last year and it worked a treat. However during the winds back in Jan it fell over ;( - couple of weeks ago i tried lighting it with no joy. Thought it may have been damp so left it til now. Today I tried it and after about a dozen or so clicks it fired up ;-))) so let it run for a bit and then tried it again and it fired with no problem.

Then tonight I tried it and it wont light ;( no matter how much i pressed the button to annoy the neighbours ;)

My observations are There is a little white cloth covered cable which seems to go to the white plastic bit that actually creates "the spark" this cable seems to be a bit perished where it meets the plastic (not burnt, cut or anything - just frayed)

I'm not sure if the ignition is partly coming from the frayed part of the cable and the rest is where it should spark from. The spark does look very weak at times. Its one of those where you push a spring loaded button till it clicks and thats the ignition to ignite it.

My question is this. Can i use one of those cooker lighters that create a spark (or even a flame) if i can get it to reach the burner where im certain the gas must come out from and use that instead of clicking all night (to no avail) All I will need to do then is switch the gas onto low to fire it and then turn it up when its running.

Thanks

Reply to
Frank Incense

Tis because they are the work of the devil - destroying the planet with their wasted energy and pollutants. Only use them in a patio with good insulation - at least 5 inches thick

Reply to
John

Sounds like piezoelectric ignition, like gas BBQ's have. It seems unreliable IME. You can certainly light gas BBQ's with a cooker lighter.

I thought about a gas patio heater, but settled for a Chimera (cast, not pottery). Geat heat, nice smell of woodsmoke & flames to watch!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman