Need help w/ *&%$# gas dryer...

I have a 1979 Maytag gas dryer and it only feels like igniting the gas every other load - I have to open the little door and jiggle the wires and *sometimes* the thing starts to glow and fire up the gas...Other times it just spins cold, wet clothes for an hour. Sometimes I try to wipe off the thing at the end of the gas pipe that glows and get slightly electrocuted for my trouble...

I had similar wiring issues with an old caddy power window motor. I drowned the thing in WD40 and then the window worked fine...

So I am thinking some compressed air and a *bit* if WD40 on the wiring connectors after I get in there and confirm there are no loose connections.

Anything else I should be checking? I really don't feel like going for a new gas dryer...

Thanks,

Bluesman

Reply to
Bluesman

Well I would have to guess you have a bad connection, likely at the glow bar. You may need to clean both connections to it. This means disconnecting them and making sure the surfaces are clean of any corrosion. I don't think WD-40 is the right tool for this. This time make sure you pull the plug before you touch it. :-)

BTW you should not touch that glow bar at all. It can cause it to burn out. I would not be too surprised if the glow bar has a crack in it and needs to be replaced.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Getting slightly electrocuted is like getting slightly pregnant--it's all or nothing. Your dryer is 25 years old. Get a new one, for God's sake, or a 10-year-old used one.

Reply to
Raymond J. Johnson Jr.

Hi,

Model & serial # is ?

Some common things to check:

WD40 conducts electricity!!...and can catch fire :O

jeff. Appliance Repair Aid

jeff

I wouldn't waste my time on a 25 year old dryer. From a safety and practical standpoint, it's time for a new one.

Reply to
Chet Hayes

For the replacement, I suggest that you make sure it has humidity sensing, and that after it finishes, based on humidity, it then shifts into an 'air only' cycle of at least ten minutes. So that the clothes are no longer hot and causing wrinkles to be put into them like ironing them in.

Reply to
Michael Baugh