Need a neutral to a light switch

I've a light fitting to wire in that has just L and N - no Earth. The 1-way, 1-gang switch is in a convenient position (! - had to happen eventually) but there's no neutral. I'll replace the switch with a 2-way 2-gang plate and wire the new light into that. Would it be OK to replace the switch cable from the existing ceiling rose with flat 3 & E and use one of the wires as N, suitably marked of course?

Reply to
PeterC

To provide a neutral for the new light fitting?

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Yes, its normal practice. It beats using an enormous pith ball.

NT

Reply to
NT

Or if it's easier, just run an extra single blue (6181y double insulated)

could run it via the light switch, or just directly to the new light fitting.

andrew

Yes, I agree - and to go one further I would say that if the OP really doesn't understand about wiring lights and their associated switches, then he shouldn't be doing it.

I did think of extending this comment to say how it should be done, but that lays me open to the legal responsibility of the OP misinterpreting the guidance. Rob

Reply to
robgraham

I was going to ask the same thing. The last time I saw this was just after a big bang inside a patress box containing a dimmer... grin.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Thank you!

Reply to
PeterC

And good practice is to use the grey wire with blue sleeving as the neutral.

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Cheers Adam. I was about to check which it should be but as grey is the least related to normal wiring colours that did seem logical.

Reply to
PeterC