Nanny stateism

The Chemist's Shop Sketch.

"Good morning."

"I'd like 100g of saltpetre please."

"What do you want it for?"

"I'm making salt beef and traditional Italian sausage for Christmas."

"We can't sell it to you."

"Why on earth not."

"You could be making a bomb."

Repeat at every chemists within a 12 mile drive of Winchester.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Your were answering incorrectly. Asked a similar "what do you want it for" question the response "thaumaturgy" got a slightly frightened look from the seller and the item requested.

Reply to
Peter Parry

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember %steve%@malloc.co.uk (Steve Firth) saying something like:

Lucky to find any pharmacists that stock any raw chemicals nowadays, anyway.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

eBay seems to be the place to order it. Plenty of advertisers there selling supposedly "food grade" saltptere.

Tim

Reply to
Tim

Begs the question, who do they sell it to then?

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Chances of getting it before Xmas?

Do they sell 50Kg drums?

Reply to
Steve Firth

People making salt beef and traditional Italian sausage for Christmas, presumably.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

What has your profit margin got to do with it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I've got some proper food-grade. Hmmmm... not *too* far from me, but still a

139 mile drive there and back. Too late now anyway.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

Presumably you've already sourced the sulphur and charcoal?

Reply to
Arty Effem

That's what I was goung to say.

Very few make there own extemps these days.

Reply to
Graham.

horsepiss

Reply to
Jules

[...]

Pretty crappy bomb with only 100g of potassium nitrate in it.

Pete

Reply to
Pete Verdon

I infrequently buy acetone from my local chemist and every time I get asked why I want it. My reply is that it is part of the way I make printed circuit boards. A grunt comes from the back and I pick it up a couple of days later.

I wish I could still buy methyl ethyl ketone, genclean and arklone.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Nice one Dave :-)

Dave

Reply to
Dave

This one needs tagging.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Nanny State? Is that where the Permissive Society, Jet Set and Chattering Classes are?

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

acetone is fairly easy from glass fibre suppliers. Isnt MEK simply cellulose thinners?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , Steve Firth writes

Completely wrong approach

"look mate, I've got 10 sticks of dynamite strapped to my chest

do it, NOW !"

Reply to
geoff

In message , Doctor Drivel writes