Multipoint as CH boiler & kettling

I tried standing same in a big plastic tub, then tried pouring hot (in order) Oust, Kilrock and path-clear (HCL) solutions. The thing that still puzzles me is that nothing happend - the only bubbles I saw were on the concrete slabs when I spilled some.The water round here is moderately hard. Also tried standing overnight with no visible effect. At that point I gave up for the time being.

The thought occurred to me that, before the re-plumbing, steam had no exit route (with taps off) in a self-deinstalling situation so at least in that sense there is a safety improvement.

Egremont.

Reply to
Egremont

Depends which model. A 30 year old one only has an adjustable flow restrictor (not user adjustable). Burner will modulate down only based on water flow rate, not temperature. If it's 5-15 years old, there were three models; the bottom one is the same with just a flow restrictor. The middle one (which I have) is thermostatically controlled, but this is done by automatically adjusting the water flow -- the gas only modulates down when the water flow goes very low, not in response to water temperature. The top range one (Thames) may have modulated the gas as well.

The over temperature cutout fitted to recent units also guards against the flow valve sticking, which is a failure I have experienced (and I heard of a couple of other such failures too).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Go to

Read up on it. Nah don't bother, you will not understand something so fundamentally simple.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Personally I'm more interested in the validity of the information posted (as far as I can assess) than it's source. As I know nothing about any of the posters it's the only thing that counts.

Egremont.

Reply to
Egremont

It is the minority, yet many millions of them are around, due to the size of the USA. Baseboard heating is quite common in the USA.

I doubt it, as Legionella has to have water exposed to air.

Because there has never been any probelms with them. The point is that it is "legal".

Stop making things up. Taking the hot water from the cylinder to heat a duct battery is very common in the USA

Well the rest of the world must be full of incompetent idiots then. And no adverse effects .

Can you point to any problems? Please cite.

Please cite.

His installalation is problem free. It is totally safe. Can you point to a safety issue? Er, er, er, no you can't. Anyone who know the business can see that. The installation is not unusual at all. It is common in other countries. He is actually using "primary" not "fresh" water, so the using fresh water cases of the USA don't apply. He is working in better operating conditions than just using fresh water in, hot water out, as scale has been eliminated. Using on-demand heaters for CH purposes does apply. Download this:

the part of using the multi-point for CH purposes, with nice diagrams. Go to page 21. Superb multi-point. BTW.

And avoid the likes of you, who makes things up.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

application.

Manually resettable pipe stats are available to incorporate this function.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

You choose. They will put in the boiler they get a high mark-up on. You ideally need a non-modulating burner. A simple minimal control boiler. The thermal store stats control the boiler.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

In this setup this failure would be les problematic, as there is a constant supply of water to the heater and a clear path for water to expand out, which is not the case when taps are shut off of on a multi-point outlet.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Why would I want to read an advert?

Think you need to read up on energy in versus energy out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

By the way, is it mildly common (in the UK) to have a domestic multipoint supply a storage cylinder for DHW, rather than supply hot water direct to the taps?.

Egremont.

Reply to
Egremont

Why would you read anything that educates you.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Come again? Domestic multi-points don't heat water in cylidners, gthey tend to use immersion heaters or boilers.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

No, since the aim of a multipoint is instant hot water without storage.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

What would be the advantage?

And just about everyone wants CH as well, so why have two boilers when one will do? Unless you're Drivel, of course, with his harebrained schemes.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Wrong. Rubbish, drivel, dangerous rubbish. Read the HSC L8 ACoP before uttering such nonsense.

Illegal in some states.

Yes I can. Legionella pneumophila.

Legionella pneumophila.

Read it again. The NHS prohibited the use of DHWS for heating (formerly common practice in bathrooms) bacause of the hazards of Legionella pneumophila. Why do you think they did that?

Reply to
Aidan

You can form an opinion about the posters & the soundness or otherwise of their opinions.

For; Dr. Evil says there's no problem.

Against; Ed advises against it. Ed said he has an engineering degree & is Corgi registered; sounds plausible to me.

Your choice.

Reply to
Aidan

And when asked where the safety problem issue is, he can't answer, and tries to quote a reg, that was not applicable. And when he is told this is normal in other counties, no response. Corgi? Self interest group.

Takes your choice.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

Maybe you should oh Och De Noo. Legionella is no problem in unvented cylinders and combis and thermal stores. Why? because the water is not exposed to air. Duh!!!

BTW, not one case on Legionnaires diseases had been reported from a domestic system.

..and your point? Obviously none, just prattling crap as usual.

Cases please? Please cite.

Cases please. Please cite.

I know. The point is that on-demand heaters are used for CH purposes elsewhere with no problems whatsoever.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

So you think adverts educate. Nothing new there, then.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Oh he is drivelling away again. No doubt there is froth on his sweater.

Reply to
Doctor Evil