Multi Saw

I need an electric saw to cut fence rails etc.nothing too grand and only for occasional use would a B&D Scorpion or Westfalia one be preferable to a POW

110 from Toolstation or any suggestions Thanks E
Reply to
leveled

Don't on any account buy a B&D Scorpion. They are utter s**te. I bought one originally from B&Q - jammed so returned and replaced. Replacement cooked - returned and refunded + £15 from B&Q. Plus they have proprietary blades.

For this kind of application, I would go for a saw of the DeWalt 303 or Metabo PSE1200 shape rather than the POW110 or Bosch PFZ600 shape that you mention.

The latter ones tend to be a bit top heavy with the shape and position of the motor and are awkward to use. Having the motor central or relatively low slung makes the tool much easier to guide.

If you weren't looking to spend that much (these are £150 and up), then the Titan (Screwfix 94036) is a design of that type at around £30.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not only that they cut very slowly, and vibrate your hands to bits!

(although if you want one, pay the postage and you can have mine!)

These seem quite solid as well:

John Rumm

I would have said so too. However, I happened to be in their shop last autumn and somebody was returning one where the mechanism had jammed....... Reminded me of the Scorpion affair, although might have been a one-off.

This is one where I would almost be tempted to suggest buying a cheap product. I can't think of an application involving a reciprocating saw where precision or long periods of use come into the equation, and I can't think of regular use applications either.

So my main concern then would be the cost of returning the thing when it breaks being vastly more than the purchase price, and having to procure another.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Agreed - I got a LIDL special and, after replacing the poor blades, which were soft and bendy, with some Bosch ones (on offer in a shed) it worked fine for cutting up an old fence prior to its replacement. It was excellent at cutting through the rusted nails to separate the panels, much better than the alternative of a padsaw with a metal-cutting blade..

It paid for itself in time and energy saved, but I doubt I'd have gone for a more expensive one.

Reply to
John Weston

I bought an Aldi resiprocating saw for £15 with blades. The best value power tool I have ever bought. Very well made and robust and saved a lot of time. It is this one rebadged.

450058

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

So far mine has survived - but as you say it does not get extensive use. It was handy for cutting through old tile batten in situ as I took the roof down. An trimming flitch plates to length was probably the longest susstained use I have given it (10 - 15 min cut each time).

Vibration is one issue - if you routinely need to use one for more than

30 mins a day it might be worth spending more.

Window fitters and demolition people seem to be the main long term users.

Reply to
John Rumm

:-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I did say *almost*. :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

I did say almost :-)

However, the scenario does fit my normal decision criteria, so I'm not being inconsistent.

Q1. Is the work to be done or application one where a better tool will produce a better result or where I am concerned about the result? This is my number 1 criterion by far.

A1. Usually yes, which is why I will tend to go for a better tool. In this case, probably not. Sawing logs or fence posts is not a precision application and a multisaw is not a precision tool.

Q2. Will it do the job? In other words, is it powerful enough and won't break for the duration of the job?

A2. This is a questionmark because the power specs. on cheap power tools are virtually meaningless as a result of poor motor efficiency. The Scorpion failed miserably on this criterion.

Q3. Will I be using the tool on a lot of occasions?

A3. With a multisaw, probably not because I have more specific tools covering most jobs that will produce a better result, thus leaving the number of applications for this one quite limited.

Q4. If I am going to use it a lot, is there a difference in ergonomics and comfort with a better tool.

A4. In this case probably yes. However, if my use is short and occasional, that is probably tolerable. I don't confuse this point with one that says that because use is occasional and short that cheap is OK if criterion 1 of a difference in outcome isn't met.

Q5. What are the service/warranty conditions?

A5. If I buy a £30 multisaw, I'm probably going to get a one year warranty, if I'm lucky 2 or three. Really, that is irrelevant because it will cost more in time and fuel to exercise that than the thing is worth. So I would bin it. OTOH, if I had bought a mid range tool, the investment is such that I wouldn't want to do that. This is probably the worst scenario. At the higher end, I can get proper service and construction is likely to be such that it's a non-issue anyway. The Scorpion was the mid range - cost a fair amount. However, B&Q addressed the problem by covering my costs of returning the product.

In almost all cases, a better tool does produce a better outcome, I do use it a fair amount and the ergonomics and servicability make it a more sound investment for me to go for a good quality tool.

This one's an exception.

So you need smelling salts at all?

Reply to
Andy Hall