Multi fuel wood burning stoves

oh, it can, but its a poor source for all but boilers designed for it.

there isn't enough land area for it to make more than a small dent in energy usage: Its also possible that deforestation causes climatic shifts as well.

But if the alternative is bottled gas..you probably need a heatpump!

you can get about 100w/sq meter out of that.

Unless they carry on building windmills of course. Then there won't be any electricity at all :-)

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Our local B&Q has a pile of pallets outside with a sign saying "Firewood - help yourself" You could try asking at your local stores.

John

Reply to
John

Coppicing isn't deforestation. Especially if you plant the coppice. It's entirely carbon neutral.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

Its not carbon neutral if you use tools, chainsaw fuel, transport to and from, etc.

Reply to
dennis

I would also agree that the Clearview is the rolls royce of stoves. I'd also agree they are very expensive, but IMHO, worth it. The Wenlock is also a good stove.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

rry

Thanks, and thanks everyone for the information in amost interesting thread. Does anyone have any experience of Stovax stoves, and the Sheraton in particular? This is the one I might have available for refurbishment. Can anyone suggest what would be a fair price to pay for one in used condition, needing a new top plate, for bricks and rope? With reasons for your price ;-)

Cheers Richard

Reply to
geraldthehamster

replying to Jonathan, Tony J R wrote: We also have a Super Demon, but now need spares or a drawing to show how the right hand hand operates to air inlet flap. Ours has broken and just spins round and we need to get it fixed. Tony

Reply to
Tony J R

We also have a Clearview and like it. The airwash works. Firelighters are seldom needed as a few sheets of scrunched up newspaper are usually enough to light dry logs - even oak. A local tree surgeon tells me that he is getting a good price for chipped wood at the moment because there is a shortage of wood for power stations to burn. I think he mentioned around £55 per tonne, collected from his storage field.

John

Reply to
jrwalliker

A little fresh wood ash on a wet paper towel also works.

I have never used firelighters. If you build the fire right it will always catch from newspaper unless your wood is too damp.

Mine is a Charnwood with a back boiler. You don't get as much heat directly into the room but it can supply hot water and power the central heating system too except in the coldest weather. You get a fair bit more power out of it when burning coal. To keep it going overnight it isn't a bad idea to put a couple of pieces of dense smokeless fuel in even when the grate is configured for burning wood. Mine quite often gets relit from the embers in the late afternoon.

The fire chamber top baffle plate is mildly annoying to get in and out and the grate rotation can jam if you burn too much stuff with nails in.

Not surprised. They ship a lot of it over from the USA!

Reply to
Martin Brown

Friends have a dual fuel burner and when moving into the property was told it was very difficult to light. The chimney sweep told them that it was a common problem because the first time after being left without a fire for a lengthy period the metal flue liner (in a traditional chimney stack) was too cold and had more of a down-draft rather than an up-draft. He advised using firelighters for the first lighting. The advice was ignored at first and the fire was lit with newspaper, small dry sticks etc. and it refused to catch or stay alight for more than a few minutes. Firelighters were obtained and these kept the flames going long enough for the flue liner to heat up and then there was a transformation with air being drawn up through the system. Subsequent lightings were no problem probably because the latent heat from the brick chimney stack kept the flue warm enough.

The stove mentioned above did not heat water nor support CH but pushed out a great deal of heat when wood/coal consumption was high (air vents fully open and a roaring fire). Wood could not be stored beside the stove because after around an hour it started smoking! I suggest not an ideal heating method if you have small children around.

If coal was used overnight and the stove turned it down it could relight logs from the embers in the morning, if required.

The stove (in a kitchen) is somewhat redundant now that oil CH has been installed.

Reply to
alan_m

I've never had that problem even from first install when they tested it from new in midsummer it lit first time with minimal effort.

The only time it can be difficult to light is when the fire has been laid but not lit for weeks and then is needed on a particularly cold evening. Even so opening the door a crack usually gets it going.

Never had any problems with the draw on the chimney. That is unless the baffle needs cleaning which is weekly routine maintenance in season.

That is what fireguards are for. Mine has one of the TEC powered fans on top which moves the trapped warm air out of the fireplace enclosure into the main room. They make quite a difference.

Although I have oil CH the oil is more expensive than scrap wood.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yes go back to 2011 and see what the difference is :-) Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa)