MR16s

The Handyman Towers stairs are quite dark during the day, having a wall either side.

They are lit by 6 x 20w MR16s.

SWMBO decreed the walls must be painted in a much lighter colour.

Fine until you turn the lights on & the retinas in your eyes burn out!

I can't spot any lower wattage lamps & I'm wondering if LEDs wold be better. Bizarrely I want some that give out less light than the lamps they are replacing.

Any thoughts?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Dimmer?

Reply to
Bob Minchin

In article , The Medway Handyman writes

Give her a quote but tell her your calendar is full for 2014 :-?

Reply to
fred

Or maybe some nasty lurgy that makes his eyes very sensitive. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 01 Feb 2014, The Medway Handyman grunted:

I had some 14W MR16 halogens; Not sure where I got them: I think Wickes or B@Q?

Interestingly enough, as regards your thought of using LEDs... as per another recent thread I've just changed from MR16 halogens to LEDs in the bathroom, and SWMBO kicked off about the new 4W items from LEDhut being too bright! I rooted around a bit and found some 2.8W ones from SimplyLED, which I fitted instead, and they are just dim enough. I expect dimmer ones are around somewhere, but my criteria included a reputable supplier and a wide angle of illumination.

Does seem barmy that we've been waiting all this time for the LED lighting market to kick off (the problem hitherto being that they've been too dim/expensive) and now they're here proper, the lamps are too bright!

Reply to
Lobster

Job done. Already painted.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Hmmm! I had thought of that, but it's 2 way switching & the downstairs switch is a 3 gang - 1 x O/S light, 1 x hall, 1 x Stairs.

Upstairs is a 1 gang switch.

AIUI you can only have 1 x dimmer on a 2 way circuit. If I placed it upstairs, would it work when the downstairs switch was used?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

You can get master/slave dimmers, generally the "touch" variety, e.g.

But you're likely to need to split your existing 3 gang switch, into a one gang for the outdoor light, and a two gang master plus two gang slave for the hall and stairs lights - both of which would be dimmable.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks Andy. More work than I wanted to do :-)

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

On 02 Feb 2014, Lobster grunted:

FWIW, funnily enough I just came across the packaging in a cupboard, there was still one unused lamp left inside. DIALL labelling (a Kingfisher own- brand - definitely came from B&Q. About a year ago?)

Reply to
Lobster