moving a socket & part P.

I have a freezer in my garage. It is plugged into a 20 amp radial circuit connected to the Non RCCD side of my CU. When some kitchen work is finished. I want to move it into my Kitchen. Can I remove the old socket and run a new feed from the breaker into my Kitchen? Under part P. I am not sure wether this would count as a new circuit or extending an old circuit. thanks

Reply to
John

If you want to follow the Part P rules, unfortunately this has implications on at least two counts:

- anything in a kitchen is not exempt as a minor work

- you can extend an old circuit in specific ways, but the legislation is muddled. In effect you are proposing to remove the old wiring from the consumer unit completely and run new to a different place. I suspect that the intent of the legislation is that you don't open the consumer unit, but the whole regulation is so badly constructed that it's impossible to be definitive. The cautious would probably say that this is a new circuit.

You can still do the work. It is then your [moral | law abiding |conscience | erring on the safe side] decision as to whether you want to submit a building notice and pay the money for inspection or not.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Please keep it in the garage!

A freezer in the garage will save you pounds in energy costs and help the planet too. In the months when the heating is on the freezer needs to cope with an outside temperature of say 20C. But in the garage it will probably be a lot cooler and the freezer won't have to work nearly as hard.

Also a chest freezer is better still. A fridge/freezer with vertical doors is so wasteful. You open the doors and the cold out quickly falls out. But open the door on a chest freezer and the cold air stays put, as cold air is heavier then warm air.

Graham

Reply to
Graham Jones

Assuming that the freezer is rated to work correctly at the low temperatures often found in the garage.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Does that allow for the extra time spent unloading content of chest freezer, finding the elusive packet of of whatever it was that you can almost guarentee will not be within easy reach, and then reloading it again?

(given garrages are often less well insulated than houses, what you gain the the winter with cooler ambient temperatures you may loose in the summer with higher ones)

Reply to
John Rumm