Moulded 6 panel doors

I am thinking to replace a number of (6) internal doors with a molded 6 panel type. Will there likely be a restriction on where the door handles have to be fitted and the hinges? I could move the existing plates in the frame and hinge to suit and fill, but was hoping to get away with them without having to move them to suit the new doors.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I doubt if there will be a problem for hinges, I'd expect the "wood" bit to be full length. I did recently help fit a few of these and my impression was that the latch side insert covered a reasonable distance. I can't remember for the moment whether the length of the supported area was marked.

Reply to
newshound

Harry Bloomfield expressed precisely :

Just to clarify - these are described as 'hollow core'..

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I agree with above post (Newshound) Hollow core means they are filled with a cardboard "eggbox"

This means only suitable for indoors. Also you can't cut them down by much, if at all, the edges may only be a couple of cm wide. So make sure your door frame is spot on.

Usually there is some indication of where solid wood blocks are fitted inside the outer skin to screw hinges, knobs and catches to. You might have to find manufacturer's data online.

Reply to
harry

18" should cover it, thanks.
Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

As for the handles, the measurements will be with the "instructions". They were when I had four new doors fitted.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire