motorised valve honeywell v4073a

Woke up this morning to hot water but no heating. Shoved lever on valve to manual and now appears to be working. No idea how old it is. No previous problems.

Off out to get a new valve. Going on Hol in 4 days for 10 days and in these conditions cannot afford heating failure. Even in Essex it is not all that warm.

Is it best to

a. lock existing valve in manual mode until I return

b. replace head, making sure valve appears fairly free?

Don't really want to drain down system to replace the lot at this point. Usual drain point is outside in the snow!

Reply to
Invisible Man

I would choose a), you might open a can of worms by going down any other route and in my experience you'll have enough on your plate going on holiday. Good Luck & Enjoy Don

Reply to
Donwill

If, as you say, you can lock it open manually then the physical valve IS free. There isn't enough torque on the little lever to move it else. So a new head is the best bet, IMO. No drain down required. Try and get a genuine Honeywell head, they are more expensive, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

Just fitted a new zone and rads up myself this morning - boy! it's nice to have some heat in the rooms I'm renovating at last!

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Just got a new valve complete. I may change the head shortly and swap the valve next time I drain down. Today's other problem is resealing the shower to the tiles at the bottom. So far have found a 25kg bag of salt to weight= down the base to open up the gap. Other heavy stuff is in the garage at the bottom of the garden which is a snow field. I guess I could always stand in there for

24 hours. Might save my back but not sure the acetic acid would do me much good
Reply to
Invisible Man

Thanks Don Rather depends on whether Gatwick is open and where the plane last was I guess.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Be aware that just latching the lever on the case will become unlatched if the valve motor operates...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Thanks for that. Might change the head tomorrow. Bathroom is currently full of fumes from re-sealing the shower tray and I have asthma and react to a lot of solvents. Great fun trying to keep weight in shower cubicle while sealing around resin base. Not enough room for 24 hours weight and me. Finally stood in it and lifted in sacks of salt, sand etc when job done but before I got out.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Just be sure that the existing head has a "bump" on the cover similar to the new one.

There are still a lot of valves around that need to be drained down to change the head.

The salt plus a couple of buckets of water (leave in buckets of course)

Heliotrope Smith

I thought about a big 5 gallon bucket but opted for 25kg of salt, about

15kg of sand and 10kg of compost. Couldn't get it in the cubicle while I was in there sealing it. Had to do the sealing and then lift the bags in before I got out.
Reply to
Invisible Man

In message , Invisible Man writes

c. Replace synchron motor in actuator head

Reply to
geoff

As Heliotrope Smith said - before you start make sure the valve wasn't made before 1987. If it is removing the head will leak water everywhere and the new head won't fit. You need to drain the whole system down and use a 40003918-007 conversion kit.

Valves made after 1987 can be identified by an obvious raised bump on the top of the power head at the opposite end to the "Honeywell" name.

Reply to
Peter Parry

Thanks to you and Heliotrope for this.

The new and the old both say for head replacement use 4000 3916 - 003 and both have the bump so should be OK.

New one says Made in Canada 0944. Could that be week 44 of 2009?

Old one says Made in Canada 0508 so if it has failed after 5 years I am not impressed. It has been working normally since I nudged it yesterday but I an not going to risk it sticking when we are away for 10 days in this sort of weather!

Reply to
Invisible Man

Thanks to all for your various excellent advice.

Replaced head on Sunday. Valve seemed free enough but will replace it next time I drain down. All working fine for 48 hours so hopeful I will not return to a frozen and thawed very wet house.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Well done, enjoy the holiday.

Make sure to turn off the cold water main stopcock before you leave then at least if the worst comes to the worst water won't keep pissing out when tanks and pipework have emptied.

Heliotrope Smith

It's on my "To do" list

Reply to
Invisible Man