Moss on Roof tiles - ideas best way to get rid of it?

Can anyone recommend a simple and safe way to get rid off moss which seems to be growing on our roof tiles (on most sides of the house, not just where there is no sun)

I assume I could scrape it and treat it with some formulation (any formulation ideas?) or better still I could spay it with some compound which would cause it to fall off anyway

Look forward to top tips

Thanks

Reply to
mr_jRayet

Hi

Access tower and a large high pressure washer. There are companies who will do this for you at exhorbitant rates. Dave

Reply to
David Lang

mr snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com expressed precisely :

A pressure washer will shift it easily, then you will need to check your gutters are clear.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Then it will be back within a couple of years

Reply to
OldBill

I seem to recall that this group suggested a copper wire or tape along the ridge - as it oxydises it releases somthing that kills the moss.

Reply to
john

Google for "roof moss copper" and got this:

john

OldBill has brought this to us :

So your long term solution is?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Place these strips of copper near the top of the roof. Slide the unbent edge up under a row of shingles so that the bent edge and 4 inches of copper is exposed to the weather. Each time it rains some copper molecules wash down onto the roof and create a poisoned environment that both the moss and algae dislike. Be patient as the copper eventually will turn a distinctive dark brown and then the classic green color.

Reply to
john

would work as the moss on my roof never grows near the TV aerial.

Regards

Michael Chare

Reply to
Michael Chare

Does the moss do any harm ? It would slow the water run off down, and its a sign of a clean environment isnt it ?

I know its a pain when ir comes loose after the winter and blocks the gutters up, but the birds like it for nesting.

I'll wait to hear what the downside is now....

Robert royall at which net

Reply to
look

Copper is toxic to most things, if stainless worktops in kitchens were replaced

with copper they would need sterilising every day....

Reply to
Badger

Why would something already toxic need to be sterilised ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In message , Michael Chare wrote

Birds sit on your aerial and shit on the roof. It is probably this that is killing the moss on that part of the roof.

Reply to
Alan

Moss likes birdshit. Aluminium salts are a herbicide though - you can find aircrash sites years afterwards by the dead circles they leave behind.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Missing letters again, n't!

Reply to
Badger

I once hung copper stripped from 2.5mm mains wire on the roof ridge in order to reduce moss on my last house. Did reduce on the tiles nearest to the wire but bugger all reduction else where, so not too sure if copper really works. Went a nice shade of green after a while.

Best to sweep off every 5 years or so.

Reply to
Ian_m