Moss on roof

harry

They're both members of the Solanaceae family. Also includes peppers. All Solanaceae are said to promote inflammation - hence the reason to avoid them if you've got an inflammatory condition such as arthritis. But it seems difficult to get definitive information about it, I guess because trials to prove the point would be expensive to run, with no obvious benefit to the drug industry who would normally fund such trials.

Chris Hogg

Copper strip works better. Its a hard one as possibly not all of it is moss, it can act as a growing agent for all sorts of other organic stuff from fungi to ordinary weeds, its a jungle up there.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff (Sofa 2)

If you speak to doctors- and I mean those who have been around some time and across a range of areas- you will learn that is far from the case.

True, there are some 'standard' approaches, which experience has shown tend to work. It makes sense, when confronted with a patient who presents the appropriate symptoms and/or gives the right details etc those first- and it may require a few tries, especially of drug 'mixes'. However, if the standard approaches don't work, the medics go 'off piste' and do try other mixes or things.

It is amazing, for example, how many drugs originally developed for one purpose are used 'off label' for other things, in some cases even if they are deprecated for their original use. There are some, (in) famous examples.

probably

In the UK, suing of Doctors is surprising rare. I know someone who worked (briefly) for a company dealing in malpractice insurance for Doctors who do private work. Only those in 'cosmetic surgery' are considered a serious risk in terms of insurance.

If it isn't part

Ah yes. I remember your advice re ignoring the Government's previous alcohol consumption limit and your advocating a not 21 units but 60+. Oddly, since then the mention of even moderate consumption sends you into a tirade.

Reply to
Brian Reay

Ah, that explains why I ejected a tooth the other day :-(

Someone at work proffered up some chilli infused vodka, me gums had a brush with dynamite...

Reply to
Adrian Caspersz

I recall an old church somewhere with a glorious green copper roof on its spire. We stopped and admired it. Another tourist commented that they should polish it.

Reply to
Brian Reay

It probably will not work if the wire or strip has been varnished or coated. The last copper strip I purchased (not for moss prevention) had a thick plastic type coating to keep it looking shiny. I had to scrape off some of this coating to solder a connection.

Reply to
alan_m

The is some research coming through which suggests *all* conditions are inflammatory in nature. Including some dementias and neurological conditions as well as diabetes.

Reply to
Jethro_uk

I don't sun it makes much difference. Our road runs, more or less, North/South and most houses on our side have the roofs parallel to the road. One 'face' gets the morning sun but some houses are shaded by tall trees. The West side isn't shaded and gets the afternoon sun.

We used to be (more) shaded at the front (east side) but some trees were removed (long story). From my roof I can see several nearby roofs on the west side and the east side roofs are easy to see from the road due to the lay of the land (the side of a hill).

To the eye, moss growth is about the same on both sides, certainly on our house and the nearby ones. The front of ours was recently cleared, the back will be done when the weather permits. I did it some years back*, hopefully I won't need to do it again for some years!

*Last time I just brushed it, this time it was power washed. I'm considering applying something like 'wet and forget' or similar.
Reply to
Brian Reay

It's not for the squeamish, but the BBC drama 'Bodies' on iPlayer explains why the suing of doctors is rare - summed up as 'doctors look after doctors, even the bad ones'. The drama doesn't show senior doctors, and hospital management, in a good light.

Many people have failed to notice that we now live in an era of Virtue Signalling, Political Correctness. Perception Management, Identity Politics, etc etc, and this is just as prevalent in the medical field as in the 'climate change' industry. One either believes in what gets handed out as the latest gospel, or works out why one is being fed such things and in what ways the actual facts are being manipulated. Perhaps your frequent mentions of steak, duck, goose, Calafornia wine and Bushmills whisky are related to cognitive dissonance, given the current war on booze and red meats from the great and the good.

Reply to
Spike

I can no longer see it with my tired old eyes, but it is not hanging down - as far as I can see. More moss has fallen down this morning.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

Anyone with the cash to hire competent people and administer the trial can run one. As you say, there is no reason a drug company should spend its shareholders' money on such things, and a university department would need some reason to suppose there was a benefit. Contrary anecdata is that chilli pepper (especially Scotch Bonnet) is very good for stomach problems, respiratory viruses and illness in general and this is also a solanaceous plant. So I don't believe a word of it. There is no obvious reason why doctors should tell patients any old wives' tale that they may have come across, prove it if you want us to believe it.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

The clue here is in the word "drama". If you have any kind of case (or indeed if you haven't) it is always possible to find a medical expert who will condemn the offending doctor. One possible reason for failure in court is that the doctor did nothing wrong, despite the litigant's convictions.

Fashion has actually swung back in favour of red meat recently, I gather.

Reply to
Roger Hayter

Odd, it's our north-facing roofs that have the moss.

Reply to
nothanks

The clue here is in the words 'did nothing wrong', as other doctors, knowing that at some time they could well be in the same position, come out on the side of their colleague.

I expect XR very soon will be organising a protest about that, probably over a steak-and-wine dinner...

Reply to
Spike

I thought we were talking about a specific condition rather than hand-waving 'illness in general'

Until your joints start playing up.

One can see why people stay away from doctors.

Reply to
Spike

Scrap bits of lead flashing bent around the copper wire at intervals might have had more effect at detering moss.

I use a long extending decorators pole with a garden hoe connected to end, so I can stand at the top of the ladder at eaves height and reach most of the roof.

The moss seems to have grown with a vengeance that last couple of years. The 2018 drought didn't semm to banish it all.

A south-facing roof should be less badly affected by moss because it gets the sun, surely ?.

Reply to
Andrew

That's odd. Are you in the Southern hemisphere ?.

Reply to
Andrew

That takes ages, and without coal fires maybe never.

The new swimming pool in Worthing is clad with copper (it's right on the seafront). Started off nice shiny copper but went dark, dull brown after a couple of months and that is how it has stayed.

Reply to
Andrew

I suspect osteoarthritis is probably the final common pathway of a number of different conditions.

Very wise. And I can assure you doctors are generally grateful to most people who stay away from them. (With the odd exception of people who really ought not to have stayed away.)

Reply to
Roger Hayter