"MOES Home" smart thermostat oddities.

Possibly connected to an "app" update.

Woke up this morning to a cold house. My Smart thermostat was offline.

After an hour of faffing, I finally re-paired it to the app (It's a Zigbee wireless gateway, for the record - Thanks

)

Anyway, now it seems to think it's 24C in the room, which it most certainly is not. And by that I mean it *really* thinks it's 24C, so I have to set the thermostat to 26 to get the boiler to fire.

So unless there are some minute life forms living on the sensor, something is amiss.

I can't see how it can be app-related. But then why else would this happen ?

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Aha ! To answer my own problem, there is an offset

Jethro_uk

If you have had the thermostat in your hand you may/will have warmed up the case. When I program my wireless thermostat I have to wait approx 10 minutes before it reads the room ambient again.

Also many "smart" thermostats have a temperature error/correction adjustment. Often used to adjust for the thermostat being placed in a position where it doesn't accurately measure the mean room temperature. Have you inadvertently set this offset adjustment too, say, 4C?

Reply to
alan_m

Yes (red face)

Reply to
Jethro_uk

Handy, probably been hacked by the Russians as a new tool for energy disruption in Europe!

Reply to
John Rumm

The nice thing about this particular thermostat is you can reflash it with firmware that's entirely local and doesn't talk to the mothership in China:

(although that may require the wifi version of the thermostat - not sure if the Zigbee one is compatible)

I would expect also that local-only firmware wouldn't randomly fail if the mothership is down, and at most would require a power cycle to get working again.

Theo

Reply to
Theo