Modernising old electrics fire with lights and not heating

At that price it is worth a shot. I am still considering ELV options.

Reply to
ARW

I think the fires are great (not the fireplaces). Used to have them in a ho use that was wired in the 1920s/30s with lead cable, each fire was wired in to the back of a 15A plug (*) in the wall below it. MK flush type almost th e size of a current double socket, with 4 faceplate fixing screws IIRC.

Owain

(* as they were called in those days)

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

I'm reminiscing my student days when I used a fork to hold a piece of bread in front of the element of a fire just like that.

Reply to
Fredxxx

This was in North Manchester incidentally. I could even tell you the name of the electrician who wired the house, he and his wife became good friends of my parents.

Reply to
Graham.

In message , Graham. writes

Our house was in Bishop's Stortford (Herts) and, being a smallish town at that time, my parents knew the builder (Jarvis) who was a small, local builder just building a few houses at a time.

Reply to
News

I think the fires are great (not the fireplaces). Used to have them in a house that was wired in the 1920s/30s with lead cable, each fire was wired into the back of a 15A plug (*) in the wall below it. MK flush type almost the size of a current double socket, with 4 faceplate fixing screws IIRC.

Yes - they would look OK flush to the wall with no fireplace.

Reply to
ARW