Modern Washing Machines

Is that a typo for "SWMBO" or another version that I'm not familiar with? Just curious.

Reply to
Adam Funk

My last GS's Miele, about 14 years old (the Miele...) shuffles round for 30 min. if you let it and the clothes just don't need ironing. Mind, I haven't ironed anything for about 10 years - "iron" - the verb - is a 4-letter word!

Reply to
PeterC

It's a variation of the expression "She Who Must Be Obeyed" (SWMBO, sometimes erroneoulsy SWIMBO - no idea what the 'I' is supposed to represent in this case).

In my version of Rumpole's epithet, the 'I' stands for "Ignored".

Reply to
Johny B Good

Our newish one (Maytag) has a "quick" programme that takes about 45 minutes --- but with *no* drying (the manual even admits this in the table of programmes): the stuff comes out dripping wet. Even on the programmes with "full" drying (1h30m or longer) the plastic containers come out wet (although the ceramics are dry).

Reply to
Adam Funk

I always assumed it was the old electro-mechanical controls that weren't accurate enough to time it to open immediately after the cycle finished.

Reply to
Mark

And they did not have tacho feedback to give a closed loop door unlock control.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Tim Watts wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@squidward.local.dionic.net:

Mine definately has a bi-metal device. it takes a few seconds to warm up enough to lock the door when the machine is started. Simple device really.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

0.15m radius drum at 2800 gives 2 x 0.15 x pi x 2800 / 60 = ~44 m/sec tangential speed. 0.25m radius drum at 1400 gives ~37 m/sec

Translate that to force exerted on a kg of washing, and we get 44^2 /

0.15 = ~13 kN for the small spinner, and 5.4 kN for the large one.

(shows just how strong that drum needs to be - being pulled apart by the equivalent weight of 1.3 tonnes of washing!)

Reply to
John Rumm

5.4kN x 5kg = 27kN or 2.7 tonnes. The forces generated by offcentre washing must be huge.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Of course, you can always pour a gallon of hot water down the soap tray when its filling.

Reply to
therustyone