modern taps - outflow question

I've noticed a lot of new taps have some sort of appendage at the outflow that has a couple of flats, where it looks like you can adjust something with a suitably sized spanner.

What do they do ?

Reply to
Colin Wilson

They are a retainer for an aerator. This is a device which allows air to enter up the spout of the tape and to join the water flow. The theory is that the tap can be run at a lower flow rate and appear to the unitiated user that he is getting much more.

German products call this device a mousser.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's usually on mixer taps to mix the hot/cold flows so there isn't a scalding side and a cold side to the flow.

They can also *sparkle* the water.

Reply to
EricP

Thanks for the replies guys :-)

Reply to
Colin Wilson

I thought (perhaps wrongly) that one of the main benefits of such a device is that he water stream is very disinclined to splash.

Water saving, aeration and thorough mixing are also desirable, perhaps the 'saving' aspect is the main reason.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Is that a 9mm mousser?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Don't try to undo the bugger! It holds in place an inner tube or pipe for the hot water. I undid mine once - couldn't get it back together, ended up with a new mixer tap!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There is that, and it's useful in a small basin, although certainly Hansgrohe market it as an eco device. The assembly itself also has a flow limiter to 7lpm. Some products refer to it as a Luftsprudler (aerator) instead of mousser.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Not all are like that. On our basin mixer it simply holds in place a plastic widget with radial ribs (like in a citrus fruit). Whether the screw thread is there to allow the assembly of the parts or to allow you to disassemble them to descale the tap or to fit a mouser/liftsprockler/aerator thingy I don't know.

Reply to
John Stumbles

Anyone know who is selling the aerator inserts (other than the specific tap manufacturer)?

Reply to
Ed Sirett

How about a traditional local bathroom shop? i.e. not one of the chain ones and not a plumbers merchant.

I've found on a couple of occasions that these kind of places have or know where to get this kind of thing and other stuff like the little inserts for Supataps. That kind of thing.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I googled and found

?_a=viewProd&productId=613