Mixing a plaster without a paddle?

Is it possible to mix a wall plaster without a plaster multi mixer or a paddle?

I brought a paddle suitable for 13mm chuck and my drill only uses a

10mm chuck. So I am trying to find an alternative to mixing my plaster. i have already brought a bag of multi finish plaster.

Can you help please?

Reply to
trevor_obba

Of course - just stir it up with a wooden stick.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Use a stick, preferably not a round one because it doesn't mix too well without sides! Make it around 30 inches long and hold the top of it with your right hand and whisk it in a circular motion with your left.

Make sure to scrape the dry powder from the sides of the bucket before giving it a final mixing, otherwise you will end up with hard lumps in the mix and these will make life extremely difficult when it's on the wall

Reply to
Phil L

Use a stick. Its hard work, but it works.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The plasterer that did my bathroom used some kind of manual paddle thing to mix the finishing plaster. He was so quiet I didn't think he was doing any work ! It looked like something you plunged up and down, but he seemed to have mixed it very quickly. Anyone know what this may have been ? Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Wasn't it some sort of gadget that resembles a jumbo-sized potato masher?

Reply to
1501

A paddle is probably the quickest way to burn out a drill that isn't designed to cope with it

Reply to
Stuart Noble

You could take an angle-grinder to the paddle and make it fit.

Mark.

Reply to
mark.hannah

Well worth it as mixing plaster by hand is a pain specially when your working alone and have a huge wall to cover ie you'll sweat lie a pig. ;-)

George

Stuart Noble wrote in news:Rt8Bj.1314 $ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-win.ntli.net:

Agree completely. Lower speed/higher torque drills are the best for this.

I would recommend an SDS drill with a paddle made for an SDS drill or a chuck adaptor.

Remember to turn pneumatic/hammer action off everyone :)

Reply to
David Cameron

Has your wife got a Kenwood Chef?

;-)

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We used to use two 'butterfly' type cavity wall ties attached to a stick in the old days.....it was quite effective but required some getting used to, ergo most people returned to using a simple stick or if they were lucky, a drill powered paddle

Reply to
Phil L

She *had*, somebody burnt it out.

Nah who d'ya suppose 'ould do a doity twick like dat ?...

DG

Reply to
Derek Geldard

No, it's completely impossible. This is why plaster wasn't used on walls until 1960 and the arrival of the cheap Black & Decker.

A better question is whether you _can_ use a mixer paddle in a typical electric drill! They're too fast and too low torque. They'll throw plaster everywhere and you're very likely to burn out the drill motor.

If you want to mix a lot of plaster, get a low-speed high torque drill with a good side handle (useful for core-drilling too). Kreg (Wickes) are about the most affordable.

If you just need a little plaster mixing, use any sort of wide flat wooden paddle. One with holes in is good (nearly as good a mixer, a lot easier to paddle with). If you don't have one handy, just carve up a bit of scrap skirting board or similar.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

yes... but if the op doesnt even have a half inch chuck drill, what chance of having a dangle grinder?

You might try using some 2mm soft iron wire, twist several into a rope a couple feet long, and splay the end out to whatever shape takes your fancy. With a 2000rpm drill you wont want it too wide.

NT

Reply to
meow2222