Mirror Speculation - Somewhat OT Not Serious

Hi all

For a little light relief, I wondered if someone might provide a reasoned reponse to the following:

2 nights ago I sat on the settee nursing a backstrain, when a loud crash was heard from the hallway. It transpired that a mirror had dropped from a picture hook on the wall, hit a radiator on the descent with the glass section finishing trapped behind the radiator. With the exception of chipping to the edges and a small flake from the edge/surface, the mirror, frame and backing had all survived. The glass took some retrieving, but survived a DIY hoist operation (to avoid draining rad and removing). It is all now re-assembled and returned to its rightful place.

So my thoughts are:

As the mirror fell, but only chipped and didn't technically "break", is anyone actually afflicted with 7 years of bad luck? If the answer is yes, is the bad luck imposed on the house owner, or the person nearest to the incident (on the basis that they caused the final vibration/air movement to cause the fixing failure)? - no-one actually touched or knocked the mirror to result in the final fall. I believe that the lack of security of the mirror fixing may be attibutable to SWMBO removing the mirror whilst builders were in and not looping the string properly over the hook on replacement - only an assumption, but does this make her culpable? Does the repairer (yours truly) benefit from 7 years good luck? How is the amount of bad luck determined in the event of minor damage? Is it calculable based on the severity of damage sustained compared to complete breakage?

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Try one of the "religious nutter" threads.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

It will be the unlucky person that actually believes in luck. No sane person will be unlucky as a result.

After all there is only one thing that is bad luck.. being superstitious!

Reply to
dennis

Yes.

But don't suggest that to her or you'll have more than 7 years bad luck.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Both Dennis@home and Chris Bacon seem to assume that the OP is sane! Is this a pre-requisit of this group?

Reply to
TheScullster

No-one broke the mirror, so I don't think so.

Of course it does. It's either her fault or yours, and you're not going to give in easily are you.

No, but you might get extra nice dinner, or other favours of a nature that cannot be mentioned in a family newsgroup.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

attibutable

I predict 7 years of indifferent luck for SWMBO.

Only you will know (as the potential main contributor to and sharer in her ongoing luck) if this will:

(a) Be noticeable. (b) Be an improvement.

The kindest thing is not to tell her.

HTH Dave R

Reply to
David W.E. Roberts

"TheScullster" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@karoo.co.uk:

Gordon Bennett!! You'd think your subject line would give them a clue!

Reply to
mike

Certain death for a family member who lives in your house according to my Grandma.You are now not lucky enough for 7 years bad luck even if you bury the mirror in the moonlight as she did. Mad old women are full of great stuff (until they fill their nappys)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

He did not say how long he has been married, but chances are he already has ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

Adam's Grandma was right, of course. There is certain death for everyone who lives in or even enters this house! Thinks, does that not apply to everyone in the whole wide world?

Reply to
Broadback

This is the ideal time to share my related story with the group as everyone else I know has already heard it... several times over.

A friend (honest guv!) once hung a new mirror in the hallway - all hunky dory and he was well chuffed with the result. Given that this was about the limit of his DIY skills he shortly after had someone round to do some work for him (pumbing something-or-other in).

Later that day he noticed that his mirror had been nicked - that thieving b'stard plumber must've had it as - so he promptly gave the guy a ring and started throwing the accusations around. The plumber pleaded his innocence however this was not good enough so he then phoned the police who called round later in the evening to take a statement.

The copper arrived and started to take the details whilst idly peering behind the radiator beneath where the mirror once hung...

Yep, the bloody thing had only gone and fallen down and wedged itself behind there!

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton