Minimum to make wiring safe.

It is done for a finite resistance - in this case that is dictated largely by the supply impedance. A higher resistance fault would seem unlikely given the circumstances (short run of tails between CUs - exposed wiring etc).

I just had a look at 543.1.3, which describes the application of the adiabatic equation for checking the sizing of a main earth conductor in these cases. Something I missed was that for an main earth conductor that is a "single" and not part if a cable, and not bunched with other wires, they permit a k factor of 143, rather than the normal 115 for a PVC clad wire. If one applies that here is makes the required size estimate lower (7.3mm)

For tails <= 16mm^2 the earth should be the same size as the tails. For

16 to 35mm^2 it should be 16mm^2, and over 35mm^2, half of the tails CSA.

Yup, I would not lose sleep over it!

Reply to
John Rumm

Its the old law of diminishing returns. I don't know at what point one should consider a fault to be common enough to protect against it. After all one lightning strike on a building can never be protected against and as we really do not know what protection is outside of our houses, how can one actually move to protect that? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff