Migration of phone network to digital

Well they told us that brexit would reduce us to a third world country in weeks and we wouldn't be able to buy stuff or land planes in Europe blah blah blah. What people say is something I advise you not to listen to...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Have they even heard of a UPS?

Reply to
charles

They will know someone who does, or will be exposed to adverts for it on the telly box.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

alan_m snipped-for-privacy@admac.myzen.co.uk> wrote

I was talking about the end user, not the telephone providers.

Perfectly possible to do all that using the mobile phone system and with the voip service over fiber if the end user has a UPS for the router and what terminates the fiber in their home.

In fact our system has a backup battery in what terminates the fiber in the home.

Sure, but it doesnt have to be done that way.

But it is obviously possible given that she could rent that.

Which it can be.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Will you miserable, pathetic, whingeing gammon right-whingers ever stop whingeing about brexit?

You inhaled all the guff from Farage, Johnson, Rees-Mogg et al, stupidly voted us out of the EU and now we're all suffering the consequences. You got what you wanted so for goodness sake stop banging on about it.

Reply to
R Souls

Many are being replaced with mobile-based ones; my local council has recruited a person with suitable skills to go and plug the new ones in for old people.

Not comparable; no-one is saying you can't use a horse - you still can. Wadworth and Hook Norton breweries still do.

The telecom companies are taking your horse away without giving you a choice, and leaving you with a car with no petrol and no driver just in case you need to go to the hospital.

I'm all for progress - I've been on VoIP for 10+ years - but this isn't being managed well and the most vulnerable are the ones who are being left behind.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

Indeed. The phone companies were supposed to be providing vulnerable users with battery back-up systems, but they have decided to just move people over without checking if they are vulnerable. From what I have read, they are often not providing these systems, even when they know the user is vulnerable and they are not checking that their emergency alert systems will work at all on the new systems. Also, they are wrongly pushing people on to new numbers and in many cases, the first the user knows is when they stop receiving phone calls.

Reply to
SteveW

If they both run on 12V, then build an opensource UPS? This popped up on my youtube recommendations ...

Andy Burns

There were famously a few who got arsey about it (e.g. Dutch Bike Bits claimed it was "impossible", when really that just meant they couldn't be bothered).

Reply to
Andy Burns

As I said not a direct result of Brexit, just of EU based remoaners wanting to 'punish' the UK Fuck em

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Clearly you don't have a business mind. Business don't say "Fuck You" to customers. It is either worthwhile to trade with a costumer or not. If you have a limited source of items you want to sell, then you sell them to customers with the highest margin taking into account the labour cost in providing all the paperwork for that sale.

In reality it is trivial to export, it is usually the importing that is more tricky. But since you probably have done neither in the past few years, I doubt you'd have any idea.

It's far more likely for a rabid fanatical Brexiter to say "Fuck em".

Reply to
Fredxx

If you are dealing in small value items, the time spent in paperwork removed any profit you might have made on the item. That is the view of a Sussex based small company of which I know the owner quite well. I've been dealing with him for nearly 40 years. And, yes, it's a result of Brexit. Previously, you just put the item in the post.

Reply to
charles

The paperwork required in the UK is one of these attached to the parcel:

For other couriers the information can be entered online.

Perhaps in their country the state made it more difficult for them?

If it were my business I would simply charge more for carriage to compensate for the time taken to completing the form and attach it to the parcel.

At the end of the day, businesses can choose who they deal with.

Reply to
Fredxx

They seem to have changed their tune:

“Welcome to Dutch Bike Bits. We offer tried and trusted products which will genuinely enhance your cycling. No gimmicks. We use what we sell and we sell what we use.

We ship worldwide.

Initial prices include European sales tax (VAT / BTW) at 21%. If you live outside the EU this is automatically deducted and correct postage is calculated once the website knows your location.

Every shipment starts by bike.

We can't bring your order all the way to you by bike, but all orders start their journey on our delivery bike).”

Spike

No that wording has been there since before brexit, as has this

"Unfortunately, we will not be able to send parcels to the UK from mid December 2020 onward. Quite apart from uncertainty due to Brexit surrounding the shipping cost, taxation etc. after that time, there is also a problem caused by the British government deciding to impose a unique taxation regime which will require every company in the world in every country in the world outside the UK which exports to the UK to apply and collect British taxes on behalf of the British government. For providing this service they intend to charge a fee to every company in the world in every country in the world which exports to the UK. Clearly this is ludicrous for one country, but imagine if every country in the world had the same idea. If every country decided to behave in the same way then we would have to pay 195 fees every year, keep up with the changes in taxation law for 195 different countries, keep accounts on behalf of 195 different countries and submit payments to 195 tax offices in 195 different countries, and jump through whatever hoops were required to prove that we were doing all of this honestly and without any error.

Therefore from mid December 2020 onward we ship to every country in the world... except the UK.

We have many customers within the UK and would like to be able to trade with them. Not being able to send parcels to the UK does not work in any way in our favour and it is not what we wanted. We are forced by British policy to stop dealing with British customers. If you're angry about this, and you may well be so, please contact your elected representative in the UK."

Andy Burns

A horse and carriage on a good road trot is about 15mph.

Buses round here don't exceed 6mph average speed and a horse would be more reliable.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

For most people they probably confuse UPS with Evri.

Owain

Reply to
Owain Lastname

  1. There are no busses around here
  2. An Ambulance averages 50mph here with Blues and twos, and around 35 without

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A German maker of bicycles (sorry, can’t recall the name) started off like that after Brexit, then decided they were losing too much business, so found a way round the requirements and now ship their bikes here while selling them cheaper than before.

It’s six months to a year since I read the report, so have forgotten some of the detail, but it was reported in the cycling media at the time.

Looks like the Dutch just don’t have the business experience, what with having a web site that contradicts itself.

Reply to
Spike