MiFi and network signal

In the touring caravan I use a mifi, with a plugge into it separate USB dongle and Three sim. Obviously I'm not too interested in the solid signal between my laptop and the mifi, is there likely to be a way to look at the mobile network signal strength?

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Depends on what the lappie is running and the dongle. Some dongles do have diagnostic data

I do know that when I had a crappy Huewei plugged into a linux system some years back I could get some sort of 'speed' reading off the linux tools. But the speed was so bad I didn't really do much more than take one look :-)

What we did find was that a long USB cable and a dongle up a pole worked a bit better!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Depending on the model very possibly. But make your mind up is it a MiFi which is a standalone device that might draw power from a PC but can just as easily run off any USB PSU or a USB mobile dongle.

Just putting the thing on a USB extender and raising it to a window will improve the signal. Certain dongles can take external aerials.

Reply to
Martin Brown

The MIFI presumably sports a web page on the device? (My old one did). Does it have any stats?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Do you have the original Mifi or the new one (about 5 years old now)? The new one has a 4-bar indicator.

Reply to
Bob Neumann

The one I have has an internal web page where you can look at such things.

Reply to
Clive George

Yes and I've managed to find on there no, so problem solved -thanks!

I had signal strength available directly when I was just using the mobile dongle, but since fitting the mifi, I've been wondering how to get access to check it.

It reports the strength on the mifi's home page at the top.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield