Miele Cat and Dog query

Thinking of buying one of these but am concerned at the cost of bags. Anyone know how many times these can be used before changing? Not just once, surely?
Regards and thanks in advance
P J Macguire
Syke wrote:

Dunno, but a Henry "Hound" or "Turbo" with electrically-driven brush head is a very good thing indeed, and bags are cheap (re- usable cloth bags also available IIRS).

Thanks for that. Numatic Helpline suggested I would be as well with Henry Xtra which has an air powered head.
P J Macguire
Syke wrote:

I've got one of those... the boxy one, not the flash new "Airo" one. It worked very well once a bit of thin oil was added to the impeller and brush bearings inside, as the grease that was there was extremely sticky and seemed to simply glue the thing up! It was a disappointment until then - however, it may have seen some use, as I got it second-hand. The brush can lose power as suction is lost when the bag fills, so you need to change bags (or clean out the cloth ones).
Syke wrote:

I've got a Miele Revolution something or the other - I think the bags are similar (maybe same) as the Cat 'n' Dog
Anyway - I don't change them that often - maybe one bag in 3-4 months.
Buy online, they are cheaper.
HTH
Tim

Where do you buy them?
--
Steve

Remove "nospam" from email address to reply to me personally

www.dustbag.co.uk
Wonderful outfit; next day delivery for orders placed before 4pm I think, 1 postage charge whatever size of order.
--
Helen D. Vecht: snipped-for-privacy@zetnet.co.uk
Edgware.
Steve Rainbird wrote:

I'm glad someone else answered that - I bought 4 boxes of bags two years ago and cannot for the life of me remember where. Still have plenty left.
Cheers
Tim
Syke wrote:

so fit a cloth bag, or buy something else. But stay away from anything with an airstream powered head brush, hopeless things. Cyclone will give you more suction than bags in practice.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote in

I'd go along with that, I've got one; if you want to go that way get a motor driven head, but I don't know who makes them.
Also from bitter experience - before you go fo speacial animal hair picker- uppers, see how you get on with damp marigolds; you might be surprised.
mike
mike wrote:

For hoovering up animals you need a lot of suction and powerful motorised brushing. That means cyclone not bags, and definitely not air driven brushes. Sometimes names can be driven more by marketing than real use.
Oh, the word 'after' is sitting by the keyboard, must have left it out somewhere.
Someone I know has a good hoover, but I'm not sure of the name. Perhaps Kirby, anyway it runs at very high motor speed, is intolerably loud, looks like something out of the 60s, and the result is impressive. And apparently cost, well, think 3-4x dyson cost.
NT
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

By gum, I bet you do. Even a small one would block the hose.

Air driven brushes are OK, but the 24V motorised brush you get in Numatic's "Henry Turbo" or other models is superb. They're "ours", too!

IMO Diesoons are POS.
Chris Bacon wrote:

Lots of small animals wouldn't block the hose. Ants, slugs, small mice, etc.
Owain
snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

I second the bit about air powered heads. Just checked, my hoover is the Miele Revolution Power Plus, with the included electric head. That is astounding powerful - better than some uprights. Costs more than the Cat 'n' Dog, but worth it IMO.
Now, I've also got the car valet kit which has a small air powered beater head. It's not bad, handy for stairs - but it really isn't a patch on the motor head, agree with NT there.
I don't have any animals (only little monkeys ;-> ) but it picks up human hair OK round the bed very reliably - they even thought of putting a little slot along the length of the beater bar, so that when hair gets wrapped around it, you just run a pair of pointy sharp scissors along and cut it off - simple, but sheer genius.
Now, I find that the suction does remain pretty good for the life of the bag. A decent cyclone will probably beat it, but the Miele is good.
Cheers
Tim

Ho hum - not my experience. Yes - you can scissor along the bar once or, if you're lucky, twice. Then I find that I have to take it to pieces to make it work properly after that. And that takes quite a while. Sometimes hair curls round the extreme ends and forms a hard, matted plastic-like substance and I have to cut that off with a sharp knife.

The new style ('fluffy') bags are pretty good. And I am not sure if anything better is out there. Maybe Nilfisk (at a price)?
--
Rod

Rod wrote:

Must be the wrong sort of hair - I never had that problem... Do you have animals, and if so, what sheds the most hair in your house? I can see cat hair, being finer, doing odd things.
Cheers
Tim

Hmmm - my partner saw your reply before I did and asked how I was going to respond. :-) Partner has lusciously thick (both individual strands and the whole barnet) and long hair - neither cats nor dogs ever come into the house. Maybe a few spiders round the back of the freezer....
--
Rod

Rod wrote:

Oops - sorry about that... No offence intended. Got it into my head animals were involved somewhere, I must have mixed context with what a different poster said.
Tim

Don't worry. She laughed as she told me of your post.
--
Rod

snipped-for-privacy@care2.com wrote:

Cyclones don't increase vacuum or (more important) airflow on a suction cleaner at all, they help to keep filters clean. Agreed that a dirty filter will reduce airflow but Henry bags are cheap as chips, you can get 100 for 40 online and they are Numatic originals, pirates are cheaper.
A Henry Turbo has a 24v power brush which is excellent IME, but I agree the air driven jobbies can be a pain.

Kirby are USA produced and sold by a multi level marketing outfit in the UK. Bit of a rip off IMO. A Sebo BS36 will run rings round it, or indeed anything else on the market. http://www.sebo.co.uk/Pages/bs4636.html
--
Dave
The Medway Handyman