Microwave start button

consumer electrical and electronic

If something is going to be thrown away otherwise, I like to have a look inside to see what the problem is. Sometimes it's easy to fix. Sometimes I see a glaring design fault that I can fix easily, e.g. pathetic little microswitches that I can replace for a couple of dollars with decent ones. Usually it's quicker to fix the device than the hours required to go and buy a new one and disposing of the old appliance. But it's as well to know about potential dangers with some things, e.g. microwave capacitors, those big springs on garage doors, standing under a crane or helicopter that is lifting an anvil, etc etc!

Reply to
Matty F

consumer electrical and electronic

I've kept going!

That's just conservative. Running 1920s household appliances might be extreme, to some. 1930s isn't imho.

NT

Reply to
NT

Didn't we have a thread on 101 things to do with a dead microwave?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

consumer electrical and electronic

That's the logic I use when people present me with dead thing to fix and my first question is "is this valuable to you in any way if I break it or make it worse"?

Often the answer is "no, it's no use to me broken give it yer best shot .. " etc.

Yup. ;-)

Or broken Dyson mains leads etc.

Yup, not always of course but often. My biggest issue is when I go to get that replacement being told:

"They don't make a metal one any more, they are all plastic now"

But when I bought the last one 10 years ago you said the metal ones were better than the plastic?

"Yes, they still are, just they don't make them in metal any more."

Indeed and partly why I asked here and have been 'reminded' that there could be some high voltages in there, should I actually need to go that far to fix a 'slow' Start button. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

T i m

Reply to
T i m

Brilliant.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

;-)

I think it's amazing how many sketches from The Holy Grail and The Life of Brian get used in all sorts of situations.

This is sooo like many threads on uk.d-i-y.

T i m

Reply to
T i m

You should go into politics:-)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

No offence meant, but it will be once you've been inside there with a screwdriver!

Owain

Reply to
Owain

None taken and you could well be right.

There is a chance I don't actually have to 'go in there' though, once Mum has given me the ok to look in there in the first place etc.

ie, It's possible that the 'Start' button may pop out (those things are sometimes retained by just spring barbs) and that might reveal the pin of a sluggish solenoid . A puff of WD40 and a wriggle (the pin, not me) and it could be good to go and I may not have gone anywhere near any capacitors or magnetrons? ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Oh thanks. ;-(

I think one of the team were saying there was a scene where Michael Palin (?) was eating mud, but the 'mud' was chocolate. Except because of the number of takes the mud / chocolate interface was getting a bit vague ...

Cheers, T i m

p.s. You can imagine how imaginative people would be with their songs when she turned up as a Tree Surgeon .. ;-)

Reply to
T i m