Microwave oven radiation

Well its not exactly true, but at the levels mentioned It would make little difference even if it was I suspect. Having worked with radar engineers on all sorts of different bands gear they seem to come to little harm even if they do what you would not be allowed to now, demonstrate warming a sandwich on the desk using a horn antenna. Look at the folk on lifeboats walking the deck within feed off the radar which is on at the time. if there had been an issue one would have heard about it by now. Mind you if you aimed the output from your magnetron at your wedding tackle you would probably not have many children.

X Rays can be dangerous. In the early days of Colour tvs, as many will recall, you almost needed a live in engineer and one of the main makes was Bush. They had an unfortunate fault condition where the valve that drove the beam and generated the 30,000 volts eht went into a mode where X Rays fired straight out the bottom of the cabinet, and there are anecdotal stories about pets getting cancer and all sorts as they lay between the legs of the set. Eventually a lead cover was used under the offending component, but many service engineers wore radiation monitors. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

This has nothing to do with microwave radiation.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The morons see the word "radiation" and get all squeeky.

Reply to
Huge

Indeed.

Once again, microwave radiation is unable to damage DNA. If you get inside the microwave oven you may boil to death, but your DNA will be undamaged.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Well, it may denature. :o)

Reply to
Huge

Dont think boiling DNA does much good to it though :-)

But you are right, What leaks out of a microwave is less than what is coming out of a wifi or a cellphine at and at very similar frequencies.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In this case, 'similar' being an order of magnitude?

Reply to
Bob Eager

Still well below infra-red, in terms of energy per photon (which is what counts). AISB, it's not until you've gone past visible and into the UV area that you get energetic enough photons that can do actual damage to your DNA (while leaving you unboiled, a state we should all aspire too :-)

Reply to
Tim Streater

Yes. mobile phones would typically be along with wifi an order of magnitude greater.

Unless the microwave shielding is more or less broken

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you want something a bit simpler, Maplin has one a red/green scale ;-)

whisky-dave

[...] One day many years ago I put my face right up against the glass door of the microwave to see how the cooking inside was going. I had the strangest sensation of having my eyeballs heated up. I have never done it again.

TW

Reply to
TimW

You can feel heat around door edges too. Nothing to do with rf though, nukes blow out warmed air.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

At what level does it go from saying safe to giving a warning?

Perhaps its a another use for the screwdriver with a neon in the handle to detect live mains. In a darkened kitchen wave the screwdriver handle around the door seal of an operating microwave and if the neon lights you have a problem.

Reply to
alan_m