OT - Carrier bag charge (or Not)

Overheard in a shop today (Robert Dyas if it matters)
"Would you like a carrier bag madam"
"How much are they"
"Our carrier bags are free madam - they don't have handles so we don't
have to charge - but they are plenty big enough for you to get a good
grip on the bag"
I cant see it working for Tesco or Sainsbury but I wasn't aware this
loophole existed......
Reply to
Chris B
Our little corner shop doesn't charge anyway. Is there an exemption for small shops?
Reply to
Huge
There is an exemption for small businesses and market traders. I get most of my plastic bags from shopping for vegetables on the market.
Reply to
Martin Brown
According to Google it's 250 employees.
Which doesn't stop some opportunists with decidely fewer than 250 employees* from trying to charge 5p for some thin gauge piece of advertising costing them around 0.2p in bulk. Being a very sad person, with a very large stock of free bags, when I remember, I try and make a point of always bringing a free bag as previously supplied by their opposition which can be immediately flaunted,when asked whether I want a bag.
Not that anyone bats an eyelid; but then that's the whole point of pointles gestures
michael adams
*
Small ethnic chains
Reply to
michael adams
You can get them in handy sealed pochettes from British Heart Foundation and many other charity shops.
A few times I've been caught without a bag and popped into a charity shop for a free 'donation bag'.
I do take quite a lot in (not always to the shop on the bag!) and buy from them quite often, so I don't feel bad.
Owain
Reply to
spuorgelgoog
On a recent trip to Kyrgyzstan we spotted Morrisons bags in a couple of bazaars. No mention of a charge for them!

Mike
Reply to
Muddymike

Site Timeline Threads