Microsoft Word

The editing does not take place in the cloud in, for example, the locally installed 365 product. Eminently provable by working offline! (Though precisely where things happen in the online apps, that is more difficult to fathom.)

Reply to
polygonum

But that's only true of win 3.0.

Reply to
dennis

no, all windows runs better on Linux!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Yes, I wondered the same thing. I think that 2003 is the last decent version before they started mucking about with the UI - and introduced these blasted ribbons instead of proper menus.

[I *am* using 2007 - but I don't really like it].
Reply to
Roger Mills

You can get a free converter - even though you wouldn't be able to write docx files. Although I'm using 2007, I always store my files in .doc rather than .docx format for backwards compatibility.

Reply to
Roger Mills

*And* far better for Clipart.
Reply to
Roger Mills

In that case, see the comments about the free converter which a couple of us have made. And people with later versions will still be able to read any of your files generated with 2003.

Reply to
Roger Mills

I'm totally amazed at people's willingness to store all their private stuff on somebody else's "cloud"!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I rather doubt anybody would find my invoicing and stock control spreadsheets interesting and they certainly would not find them to be of any use, except to run my very niche business.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

But most people are willing to store all of their money in someone else's "bank". What is a bank if not a cloud store for cash.

Reply to
news

Is that the one that was the equivalent of ME? Is it 2010 that's OK? I wouldn't dream of having 2013 but, if I did have to update, would go for

2010. The way LibreOffice is going, MS Office might be kept just in case.
Reply to
PeterC

Actually, the free converter allows you both to read and write docx files.

Reply to
GB

What are your concerns about LibreOffice?

Reply to
The Other Mike

Just retaining complex formatting - it does mangle a rather fancy .doc table/form that also has loadsa BSA (bits stuck anywhere).

Reply to
PeterC

Give this one a try, its free this version. Used to have LO and OO on the wife's machine nowt but complaints but none since:)...

tony sayer

Fair enough - I stand corrected!

Reply to
Roger Mills

I mentioned that near the top of the thread. Amazingly good.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Well, there is government protection for up to 85 grands worth of my money in each independent bank I use. Who will protect me against loss of data, or for the consequences of sensitive data getting into the 'wrong' hands?

Reply to
Roger Mills

That is what backups are for. The really important bits of my data are on two computers in entirely different locations and on a memory stick that I can hang around my neck.

IMO the cloud is like an email - never put anything in it that you don't mind sharing with the world.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

FYI Brian your speech-to-text has misled you. That's libre (ends in E) not libra (ends in A)

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris