Micro CHP

I can state with certainty that it's not been replaced for 20 years. Maybe it's different in scotland?

first
be
Thanks and I will do. Hopefully costs will drop but the key advantage I can see is we have so many short power-cuts that if the heating keeps itself, the lights and computer on during these then it's a big gain. However I will need an LPG one which presumably is some way off.
writes

We have been thinking about geothermal underfloor heating and possibly using a domestic windmill to power the pumping. Reading this thread has given me something to think about. Does anyone know if the small windmills have a cut off if the winds are strong? Because here in the NE Scotland our winds are usually strong and it would seem silly to install a system that is not going to work when it is cold and windy and the heating is really needed.
--
Sue Begg
Remove my clothes to reply

Yes - the clutch lets go to stop over-driving.

I think they first try turning away from the wind to calm down the spin so I doubt if you will lose much. I doubt if in a hurricane your heating isn't the first thing on your mind :-)

I once downloaded some brochures from Cholwell Energy Systems (whose website now seems to be offline). They sold several generating solutions including windmills. Their larger models had some kind of automatic feathering on the blades which enabled them to produce full rated output up to 150mph windspeed (no mention of what happened over that). The small model, the "AIR 403", had "aeroelastic carbon fibre blades" which bent (or twisted I suppose) in the wind having a similar effect to feathering but without all of the mechanics.
I still have the PDFs if anyone's interested.
Hwyl!
M.

The generators that you refer to are still available, Cholwell was a retailer, not the manufacturer. There are a numbe rof generators, the current top of the range is the Air-X. They have a bad reputation for noise among the sailing fraternity and most would settle for a lower powered but quieter generator.
The Rutland Furlmatic 1803 is a better generator than the Air-X and avoids damage in high winds by stallign the blades and torating the generating head to cut forces on the installation.

o As I understand it, it won't do this if the mains goes off, as it's designed to pump it back into the grid.

can
itself,
designed
Yeah- I thought that after posting. But somebody said these things are used on yachts so it must be possible to get them going without mains.

http://www.acwager.co.uk
is the website of a guy that has one in a cottage, though the details are no longer there he still has a couple of pictures. He has a 24V whispergen which charges batteries and then runs an inverter.
AJH