Insulation on loft roof - insulation blankets...?

Hi After visiting the Homebuilding and renovation show at the NEC, I came across something called 'SuperQuilt' by YBS Insulation. I claims to have a U value of 0.19 - if used over rafters. I spoke to the guy on the stand and explained what I wanted to do - use it over my rafters then cover it with plasterboard. He said this was fine as long as the plasterboard is kept at least 25mm from the blanket (using battens) and the plasterboard has either foil on it or I use a seperate polythene vapour barrier. This installation seems to sound ideal for my use - and is cheaper than foam/celotex etc - and means that as an amateur DIY'er, I could probaby do it myself. Anyone any thoughts, good or bad on this? The companies website is

- and the guy reckons on about £10/m2 Thanks in advance Simon

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

Sorry, meant to say it is for the roof on a barn conversion, not my loft.....! S.

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

Just use Kingspan or Celotex. It definitely works and is cheaper of you get it from Seconds and co who were at the show as well.

Reply to
Mike

Simon, See thread....

"superquilt" roof insulation.

earlier today... Roy

Reply to
RzB

Ahhh... yes...... sounds like exactly the same stuff. Don't know how I missed it - I normally do a quick search before posting!

Thanks

Si

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

Yes, saw them there... and some samples. This 'Superquilt' looks so much easier to work with though....

;)

Reply to
Simon Hawthorne

Its not cheeper than kingspan (celotex by a different company), in

100mm thick sheets purchased from B&Q in Chester.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

Don't buy from B&Q then. I bought 120mm sheets of 2.4*1.2 m from Seconds and Co for £10+VAT. That's a lot cheaper than any foil stuff and it definitely works whereas foil is open to debate.

Reply to
Mike

Unwise to knock multifoil products until you understand the physisc. Most buillders and their merchants are not physicists.

Reply to
Biff

Why do you think I don't understand the physics ? I believe I am more than qualified to read the reports for and against and then make my own opinion.

In any case all I said was that the effectiveness of foil is open to debate, though after giving it a try I won't consider using it in my own properties again.

Reply to
Mike

Hi,

It probably works very well in space!

A useful tidbit on it here, suggesting it's R value depends on the application:

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C