Micro CHP

Could you please explain what you mean by "net metering".

it quite clear you can sell self generated electricity back to your supplier so I am not sure what it is you say won't happen.

Reply to
Mike

..another nut. Comes from nowhere and knows all the answers - alas knows few and gives "opinions" of how it "will" be. Only on the internet. Go climb back down your sewer.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

we all thought you were pissing off to Italy. Why haven't you gone? Go quickly!

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

..the man is mad, not just a tad ..he's clearly all the way ..babbling drivel and tripe he clearly has a say ..his saying it is very dire ..of it he will never tire

..the man is mad, not just a tad ..he's clearly all the way ..giving bad advice we know not why ..thinking he is wise on DIY

..the man is mad, not just a tad ..he's clearly all the way ..of large private parts he likes to drool ..the parts he can't measure with his one foot rule

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

The example you gave is unique in the industry and unfortunately does not apply to whispergen chp from powergen nor indeed any other embedded domestic generation in the uk.

Pricing of demand and generation Its the critical thing on all these schemes. When you are on net metering you purchase electricity from the grid at the same instantaneous price that you sell it back. With the right incentives and price structures in place you can defer consumption at peak times and sell your surplus back to the grid. Bearing in mind that the instantaneous network price can easily change by an order of magnitude during a normal day you can see the advantages in doing this. Most consumers however pay a smoothed price that stays the same or drops to a low rate at night (economy 7)

If you are on the usual schemes for embedded generation at the domestic level promoted in the UK you might pay 8 pence per unit for your electricity taken from the grid, but only receive 2.5p for electricity you supply. This discrimination vastly increases the time to repay your investment making it unprofitable to install in the first place without other incentives such as direct grants. The whole system is a mess but its all a deliberate act as this disincentive is there purely because if embedded generation was rolled out on a larger scale it would defer capital expenditure by both distribution and possibly transmission networks directly reducing their income. Despite it being plainly a very good thing its not welcomed by the UK electricity industry.

Reply to
Roland

Quite, we are at 1400' and exposed to the SW'lys very nicely. We do get storms with sustained speeds in the 40 and 50mph range but normal sustained speed is more like 15mph (6m/s ish). It's very noticeable when you drop down into the town how much reduced the wind is.

Flipin heck I've just looked at the Techinical spec page and I quote

"Supplementary 240v - 50Hz feeding into the property via a 13amp plug."

Feeding into! WTF... Is there no automatic protection in event of a grid failure or maybe there is and the invertor trips out unless it can detect grid 240v on the socket. So no nice little backup supply which surely must be a selling point?

I'd also pay attention to the acoustic noise figures and see if you can find out what the noise sounds like. There have been several small modern turbines around here that I wouldn't like in my back garden or bolted to the house vibrating the walls... And don't think it's one of those little yacht battery top up turbines either it is 5' 8" in dia.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You've not found a cure for your 'poetry' infection?

Seek professional help before it's terminal.

Or perhaps not.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's "we" as in you and the voices in your head is it?

Reply to
Steve Firth

When are you going?

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

So the rumour goes. Electricity is a "by-product" of these units. So, if you are in winter and heating the house and DHW you will get 1.1/1.2 kW of elecricty, which you will not be paying 4 times the price of gas to use. Any suplus that goes into the grid, that you get money for is a bonus. You don't use these unit for electricity only use, as there is too much waster heat. Although, depending on the cost of producing electity, It still may be financially worth it, even wasting heat.

They work well with large thermal stores. One long burn to heat it up and use the stored heat on demand. A control system to monitor stored energy in the store and electricity demand may be useful. If say there is electricty demand for a tumble dryer the units can cut in and store the surplus heat in the store. A level of spare storage may have to be kept, when for large electrity demands, then it stores to maximum capacity, in volume and temperature.

As long as gas is 4 times cheaper it will be feasible. With large takeup, and mass production, the units will be well priced. But I would prefer to use two combi's.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I wouldn't piss in your mouth if your teeth were on fire. So stop begging me to.

Reply to
Steve Firth

You are not going? How disappointing.

to open account

Reply to
Doctor Evil

That's fair enough. Generators have an obligation to generate green electricity so anybody selling them green power allows them to meet this but a microCHP is definitely not green. I would imagine there will be similar schemes for wind and hydro power in due course.

Reply to
Mike

In message , Mike writes

We have been thinking about geothermal underfloor heating and possibly using a domestic windmill to power the pumping. Reading this thread has given me something to think about. Does anyone know if the small windmills have a cut off if the winds are strong? Because here in the NE Scotland our winds are usually strong and it would seem silly to install a system that is not going to work when it is cold and windy and the heating is really needed.

Reply to
Sue Begg

Yes - the clutch lets go to stop over-driving.

I think they first try turning away from the wind to calm down the spin so I doubt if you will lose much. I doubt if in a hurricane your heating isn't the first thing on your mind :-)

Reply to
Mike

I heard of one guy who calculated all the cumulative claimed results of his spam, and concluded that if he'd bought them all, he could be up to

7' by now.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

I once downloaded some brochures from Cholwell Energy Systems (whose website now seems to be offline). They sold several generating solutions including windmills. Their larger models had some kind of automatic feathering on the blades which enabled them to produce full rated output up to 150mph windspeed (no mention of what happened over that). The small model, the "AIR 403", had "aeroelastic carbon fibre blades" which bent (or twisted I suppose) in the wind having a similar effect to feathering but without all of the mechanics.

I still have the PDFs if anyone's interested.

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

The generators that you refer to are still available, Cholwell was a retailer, not the manufacturer. There are a numbe rof generators, the current top of the range is the Air-X. They have a bad reputation for noise among the sailing fraternity and most would settle for a lower powered but quieter generator.

The Rutland Furlmatic 1803 is a better generator than the Air-X and avoids damage in high winds by stallign the blades and torating the generating head to cut forces on the installation.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Well, reduction is needed by some.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

o As I understand it, it won't do this if the mains goes off, as it's designed to pump it back into the grid.

Reply to
Ian Stirling