MHS Strata 1 Combi discontinued

For information: Modular Heating Systems are no longer selling the Strata 1 Combi.

This is the same boiler as the MAN Micromat or Eco-Hometec EC38

They cited parts availability as the reason when I pressed them.

They say they will have a replacement in January.

Dave

Reply to
David C. Partridge

I have a MAN Micromat EC23, so decided to check into this today in case there was a general issue.

I called MHS who said that there was a "parts availability issue" on the EC38 Combi model as you described, but the person did not have any details.

I then spoke with Eco Hometec who also distribute the MAN Micromat in the UK, and they told me that there had been an issue with the supplier of the small hot water storage tank (Aquabooster) used in the combi versions of the EC38 and larger models. Apparently MAN Heiztechnik are qualifying an alternative supplier for this component. This was leading to a short term availability of new EC38 combis (until January) but not of spares. Eco Hometec told me that they had stock of boilers and spares anyway.

To check further, I called MAN Heiztechnik in Hamburg and asked whether they had any production issues, spares availability or were planning to discontinue the Micromat. They confirmed that they had had an issue with the supply of the storage tank for the EC38 but that this was being resolved - essentially the same information as from Eco Hometec. I asked them whether they were planning to discontinue the Micromat in the foreseeable future and they said not, since it is their largest seller. The person pointed out that they had just won a best of breed award at one of the German test organisations (Stiftung Warentest,

so why would they, and that in any case, German law requires hem to have spares availability for a minimum of ten years after production ceases.

So it appears that MHS have in some ways got themselves into some form of chinese whispers, and that their sales dept. has got the wrong end of the stick.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall