Metal things in microwave oven

I always thought it was bad to put metal things in a microwave oven, and indeed on the occasions when something metal did go in ours some vicious sparking ensued.
Now we have a new one, a so-called combination microwave oven, and it includes a metal grill rack that can be used when it's microwaving. The instructions merely warn not to allow metal obejects to touch the sides when in a microwave mode.
So what has changed to make it OK to put metal in a microwave oven?
Daniele
--
Wanted: TEAC A-2300SX, Akai GX-4000D

Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
on 30/05/2009, D.M. Procida supposed :

Nothing at all. The no metal was a general fool proof rule. If the metal is one single piece and not allowed to touch another piece of metal or the case, then there is no problem. Put two spoons in with some contact between them, then you can expect sparks.
--
Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Harry Bloomfield wrote:

yup, though its a bit more complex. If you understand the basics of radio waves etc its easy enough to use metal safely in them.
NT
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

I still have somewhere the cook-book that came with our first microwave, (one of the first microprocessor controlled ones called a Plustron). It recommended putting aluminium foil on poultry legs to shield them.
It also had a metal temperature probe you could stick in the food and plug the other end into a 1/4" jack socket inside the cooking cavity.
--
Graham.

%Profound_observation%
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
In article

Nothing - putting a metal spoon in a glass of milk has always been an easy way of heating it up without it quickly 'boiling' and overflowing. And my microwave has a SS lining. What is a problem is 'silver' leaf etc on a plate - that will burn out.
--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman snipped-for-privacy@davenoise.co.uk London SW
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sat, 30 May 2009 17:27:49 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Also a good way to destroy CDs!
SteveW
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.