Metal theft. The biters bit

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Thank you Mr Spart. But the vast majority of people, those who have decent common-sense values, will have no truck with your apologist drivel. These nasty little criminals are totally selfish. They don't care what effect their actions have on others. They are not a part of society because they have opted out, so why should society bend over backwards to accommodate them? They break into the homes of good hard-working people, make a phenomenal mess, shit on the carpet, and smash the place up. They buy and sell drugs, thus ruining millions of lives. They steal a tenner's worth of copper despite the fact that the cost per affected household to repair the damage is often hundreds of pounds. They are like rats amongst us, with the morality of rats, sub-human, leaving their filthy trail of oudure everywhere. The cost to the rest of us in terms of heartbreak when homes are burgled, inconvenience, and money spent of jails and the police is astronomic. So you can't expect decent people to show them much consideration in return. The judicial system has failed us thanks to being watered down by lefties over the years, so decent people can only think that the more of the little scumbags that kill themselves the better off the rest of us will be. The simple answer to the ballooning costs of the prisons would be to take the tellys out of the cells, turn the heating down to 18deg, and link food provided to work done. That way the prison population would soon reduce. All burglaries and assaults should result in an automatic custodial sentence.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Of course you're right.

Alas, HMG keeps bellyaching on about how our prisons are full and overcrowded.

It doesn't seem to occur to them to build some more.

Or privatise the whole shooting match.

It's almost as if they want criminals out on the streets............

Reply to
The Grey Man

I can give you an actual example of the problems. My parents' next-door neighbour suffered from emphysema. He spent his final years at home, hooked up to a machine that fed him oxygen enriched air. If the power failed, the battery would last only a short time and the back-up was bottled oxygen, which would also work if the machine failed in any other way. However, he was physically unable to turn the oxygen bottle on by himself. His wife very rarely spent more than a very short time out of the house because of this, but had to take a chance occassionally. At one stage she dared not leave the house at all for a fortnight, as cable TV was being put in through the area and they had twice hit power cables

- without her there, this could have killed him. Now it would have been terrible if this had killed him, but faults mistakes and accidents do happen; how much worse if he had died through a totally avoidable, deliberate and totally mindless criminal act.

Most power cuts from my (suburban) experience have been deliberate (70s strikes or maintenence) in which case there is prior notice (especially for medical users) or faults, that usually come back on very quickly. Other than strikes, we have never experienced loss of power of even one hour during forty-odd years! Cable thefts can knock out power for days. Thefts also often involve the substation neutral/earth links and can cause large voltage swings, resulting in damage to electronic equipment; total failure; and fires.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

At the start of my first lesson, the instructor asked me "What is the first rule of the road?" The answer being "Drive on the left" - however, I though that my answer of "Assume everyone else is out to get you" was better.

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

You'll be somebody who doesn't know that putting telly in cells is about reducing hassle and hence, not about providing a cushy environment for a prisoner. A population doped up to the eyeballs with daytime telly is rather more docile than one otherwise.

Reply to
Clive George

They fequently say that prison doesn't work and doesn't deter re-offending. I've always wondered that even if prison doesn't work for many of those incarcerated, do long sentences deter those that have never been in trouble from getting into a life of crime in the first place?

SteveW

Reply to
Steve Walker

The uk railway ones that I posted a while back....

Ian

Mostly with junkies and potheads who would be better off on NHS dope.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Love the way you speak for others, Bill. Just a way of trying to justify opinions you're actually ashamed of, deep down. Look it up.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Certainly true when they take to crime to feed their habit, as many do. The drug prices being artificially high purely because they are illegal.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

where have we heard that before..

Janet

Reply to
Janet

Quite amazing the confidence some have in their abilities.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That could be the answer then, have a sign saying if you want to be killed, cut here :-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Who's paying for this ?

Wasn;t the escape of teh catogory A prisoner yesterday in stafford from a private security company.

handy for taser practice, maybe it should be an olympic sport.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Capital punishment is one thing, but do you relly think it's acceptable to make prisoners watch episodes of 2 1/2 men or Jermy K. as punishment ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

or let them buy their own drugs, like other do with beer and cigs.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Well, exactly. and similar taxes - high enough to pay for the NHS but not high enough to make smuggling them onto a black market viable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I wasn't around in the '30s and '40s, but there are films from then.

Reply to
dennis

In article , Dave Liquorice scribeth thus

Poor lady;(

When I was in hospital recovering from a coma a few years ago after a fall from a power line, long story;!, my bro in laws dad was in there too after suffering from a stroke.

It was "decided", quite by whom I don't know, that they weren't going to feed him or give him any water even, he was in fact going to be starved to death the death happening sooner through the lack of water..

One young new to the ward nurse there took pity on him, shall we say, and seeing him staring at the water jug on the bed next to his gave him a few sips for which as she said he seemed so bewildered that they were treating him so, seemed as he couldn't speak properly!.

She also gave him some mashed up food which he managed to eat after a fashion and in fact after a few weeks was sent home , well back to the town where he lived to live out his days in a nursing home where he did pass away from other causes some months later..

I heard that the nurse got a bit of a ticking off for doing this but she said her conscience couldn't let someone deliberately die.

However at the same hospital and in the same ward they treated me in they have to make decisions like that, heres a clip from the excellent TV film "Between life and death" of someone who was thought be almost brain dead and was about to have his life support switched off .. then they make an interesting discovery!...

its not a lot of fun getting old;!...

Reply to
tony sayer

Clearly cigs are overpriced then. My wife asked some of her work colleagues how they could afford to carry on smoking and they looked at her as if she was mad. Apparently few smokers around here buy proper duty paid cigs but buy them from dodgy blokes at car boot sales.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie