Touhgest drill bit for metal

Hi, What is toughest drill bit for drilling many, many holes thru a bolt stuck in a confined space. I am trying to drill it into bits to break it off. There is no other means to get rid of it. Cobalt bit or any other better one? TIA,

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Perhaps you could describe the problem a little bit. There are easy outs and other methods of working on stuck bolts. There are even acids that might lend themselves.

If you break off a cobalt bit in your stuck bolt, things could be much worse.

Reply to
DanG

You're going to use drill BITS to break a bolt into BITS.... I think you are a BIT crazy ! or maybe pulling our legs a BIT. But whatever you do, be sure there are no dogs nearby, or you may get BIT. :)

Reply to
alvinamorey

Hi, Big Oops, sorry, I meant breaking a nut not a bolt.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

You can't use these?

tnom

We'd really like some more details. What kind of a device are you repairing? How big a bolt, how big a nut, and what kind of bolt? Much, much, more detail.

The answer is likely to be carbide with diamond grit embedded in the tip.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hi, It's so called spline type lug nut on a small Japanese car after market rim. The nut spline cap broke off(it was hollow tubing kinda thing, not solid metal) Now the tapered nut is in a recessed hole making it almost impossible to do anything. Time to put on winter tire/rim and I am stuck. Out of 5 lugs this one is giving me a big headache. Having almost no room to do anything, drilling was my idea. Think the El Cheapo lug was the cause. I was using air impact wrench. I suspect the cap was partially cracked on the side by road debris or something. It shouldn't break(shear) off like that. I was even thinking about using welding torch sacrificing the rim and/or stud. So far no snow yet, so I still have some time on my side.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I bet you can get it with a screw extractor then.

Reply to
TimR

how 'bout something like this:

I believe they are sold at Sears as "Bolt-Out" I have used the smaller sizes with some success (stripped Allen head cap screws in recessed holes of a supercharger bracket in a really bad location; I was not looking forward to pulling the radiator and drilling.)

nate

Reply to
N8N

TimR wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

Advance Auto parts sells an extractor for removing tapered "security" lug nuts,they come in a couple of different sizes.Saw them on my last visit,in the special tool section.(or was it Harbor Freight??? senior moment!)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Hi, again. Anyhow, a couple ideas.

First -- down by the air hose, on the handle of the air wrench. There might be a knob. Make sure that's turned to the highest number, which is the highest torque.

Second -- Heat the lug wtih a torch, and then quick like a bunny, put the impact wrench on for several seconds. See if that helps.

Failing that, try a 25 inch breaker bar from Harbor Freight. Put the socket on, and swing the breaker bar off to the left, and press down on the end of the handle with your weight.

One time when I had a stuck on lug, I had to cut around the lug with a holesaw, 1 5/8 inch, and take the tire off that way. Remove the lug with vise grips. Yeah, sacrificed the rim, I know.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Well, lets think about this. You drill a hole in the end of the stud, and use a screw extractor. What do you REALLY think will be the result?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in news:47437074$0$15384$ snipped-for-privacy@roadrunner.com:

the extractor breaks. (if the drill bit doesn't first.)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Yep, that's about what I had thought.

Reply to