mesh-backed porphyry setts

Has any one any experience of using the above I note that

reference to them as being easy to lay which is right up my street

They are also sold on

I have a few questions

I have removed our existing concrete crazy paving patio to reveal further concrete which in turn looks ideal for a subbase

Not sure What would be the bedding layer and how laying would differ from block paving? simply sand as per block paving or a dry mix of sand/cement Also what would be best to infill the setts

Many thanks

Mike

Reply to
Mike Saunders

You must have money to burn if you are contemplating using these. They are £42 per metre to buy!!! - you can get a contractor in to supply and lay proper block paving for less than these cost to buy*, and as far as I am aware, grouting them is a PITA.

BP is now £11 per metre in B&Q or £8.80 at Jewsons, which are 60mm and 50mm respectively. setts (which look like those tumbled cobbles on your link) are £18 per metre.

*I charge £37 per metre for basic block paving, for the setts mentioned above, you can add on the difference between £11 and £18, making it £44 per metre, but this includes all digging, excavations, plant hire, removal of debris, skips, laying of substrates and blocks and reinstatement of all steps, manholes, edges etc....most BP firms have similar prices.
Reply to
Phil L

Traditional infill: tar/bitumen Modern infill: cement mortar Dont know about beds.

I cant imagine why they'd be any easier to lay than blocks, but laying setts is not something I've done.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Quote from >

"The setts are cut, dressed and mounted onto a strong polypropylene mesh backing, so that, when it comes to laying, all that needs be done is to prepare a level bed, drop the mesh setts into place, consolidate with a plate compactor and joint them! It really couldn't be easier!"

I have 70 m2 to lay I was quoted ?1750 (inc labour) for a very basic concrete flag and ?2750 for indian sandstone (which is the same/cheaper as the better quality manufactured flags). The price of the setts are ?37.50 inc VAT ie total of ?2625 As this looks like a quality product then IF it easy to lay as mentioned above then would prove the optimal solution. So no I dont have money to burn but am interested in value for money

OK you have my interest in BP Just not sure how quick it will be for me to lay. As I have a good concrete base for the sub layer it might be an option I am quite competent at DIY just not done BP

Should laying BP be left fot the professionals?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Saunders

I've just added 12M to the side of my drive, the hardest part was digging out and filling in the sub-base. once the screeding sand was levelled it was a piece of cake, done in a couple of hours. I used a block splitter for the fill in pieces. As you have the sub base it should be easy, just add the edging and fill in the rest.

I reckon it came to about 500 including hire of skip, splitter and wacker.

Reply to
<me9

If I were you I'd raise these questions in the pavingexpert Brew Cabin, and get an answer straight from the horse's mouth.

Douglas de Lacey

Reply to
Douglas de Lacey

I'll have to reply here because I can't see MS' reply.

You can't lay BP over concrete, other than that, if you are OK at DIY then give it a whirl, you may find you actually like it - I did and now do it for a living.

Reply to
Phil L