Raising the level of external grids

I am thinking of putting a new patio in my back garden, over the existing slabs. Whilst this is okay from a damp course perspective the existing drains and grids will obviously be 1 1/2 inches below the level of the new patio once I've finished.

Is there an easy way to raise the level of them?

Thanks for your help.

Reply to
J&K

No easy method that doesn't involve extra brickwork or a layer of concrete under the existing surrounds to the manholes.

Why not add a grid to the top so it's removable and fill with pea shingle for an area to put decorative pots on etc?

Reply to
Mr Alun Davies

Firstly, I seriously doubt that your new flags will only be 1.5 inches higher than the existing ones, you do realise that they need to be bedded onto sand/cement for levelling purposes? - if they are just placed on top of existing flags they will simply slide about, rock and generally be a pain in the arse until you eventually thrown them into a skip....but that is up to you and you didn't ask for advice about that - your grids are currently level with the surface of the flags? - this is never a good idea and I always put drains lower than the finished surface, or if Im laying flags / concrete / block paving, I aim to finish at least 2 - 3 inches above the grids and then bench strong sand/cement around them and make a gulley into which surface water will run...so to cut a long story short, your grids are already bordering on being too high, don't make them worse by raising them up, it doesn't matter if they end up six inches below the surface of the drive / patio etc, water always finds the lowest point.

Reply to
Phil L