Merlin "torches"?

How do you make those "torches" that can currently be seen in the BBC1 programme "Merlin" on Saturday nights - you know, those wooden sticks with fire at one end? :o)

Reply to
John

Bamboo with split end full of something like cotton waste dipped in something waxy or tar like. Could melt some candles and do it that way,

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I haven't seen the programme but they're probably similar to those used for 'Viking' processions and the like. The sticks have fabric wrapped round the end to be lit but the fabric is made flammable by dipping it into molten wax. To make sure that burning debris doesn't fall off it's also wound with wire - it could be chicken wire for ease.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As in real torches like that?

Rushes and animal fat (e.g. suet) Birch bark

As in the program?

I have always assumed some sort of gas device - for long life, ease of lighting and control, safety, etc. The flames of these things (and almost every fire on film or television) always look like gas or petroleum spirit of some sort.

Reply to
Rod

Thanks guys, all very interesting.

Reply to
John

As in Up Helly A in Shetlands ?

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Presumably - have a look here for the "Merlin" version (one or two of the images of Nimueh show her holding one)

John

No. York.

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The correspondence in that forum showed the ignorance of people who think that reed mace is a rush.

Rushlights are made from partially stripped common rushes - juncus sp.

Mutton fat is better than any other because it has a higher melting point than other fats but you wouldn't get a lot of light from a rush light - they were used for personal lighting but they couldn't be hand-held and burned quickly so you had to keep moving them up the nip.

I know because I make them for museums and films.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

'Fraid you'll have to explain that joke to me

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Da da da de da, da da da de da - No York no York....

Reply to
The Medway Handyman