Mending small hole in canvas tent

Hi,

How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich

Struth, that's a tough one. How about stitching a small piece of canvas over it?

-- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

Dave Baker

that'll be 'strewth'

RT

Reply to
[news]

The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I forget what type of glue...

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In usage, perhaps, but "struth" could equally be correct as I think you'll find it's a contraction of "God's Truth"

PJM

Reply to
Syke

I've done it surprisingly sucessfully using a small bit of duck (aka duct?) tape - the reinforced, grey, very sticky stuff. Zero hassle and reasonably long lasting, if inelegant!

This was on a man-made fabric, I have to say, which might well be less stickable-to than canvas.

Reply to
Lobster

See if you can find someone who knows the old process of "darning" as in socks. You will need a length of thread exactly like the canvas one though.

Done properly it is almost indistinguishable.

Reply to
EricP

Seam sealant?

Reply to
Chris Hodges

Hi Rich, try a camping shop - repair kits with canvas patches and a glue with the consistency of Copydex. Phil

Reply to
P.R.Brady

With cotton canvas you don't need to worry too much about ordinary needle holes - a good soaking usually shrinks them down. You could of course use glue - often heavy cotton canvas is a bit heavy for a domestic sewing machine.

If you are going to patch it, make a sandwich of the tent fabric - do a patch both sides. Also, cut your patch with rounded corners as they tend not to peel the way square corners do

Jayne

Reply to
Jayne

As Homer Simpson says: "if something is hard it's probably not worth doing"

Do you not get the feeling that this particular tent is trying to tell you something?

Reply to
Jonathan Telfer

Jayne wiffled:

Troll:

Sewing - definitely womans work :)

Reply to
Triffid

Sewing machine = power tool

Reply to
Rob Morley

No wonder I normally only read posts here - should have known better than try to post.

Reply to
Jayne

Did you not notice the smiley?

Reply to
Rob Morley

couldnt agree more - dump it and buy my trailer tent - oops was that an advert !

Reply to
anon

u calling me a woman ?

Reply to
Rick

Jayne wiffled:

No no no.

I was only pointing out that it took a woman to tell us How It's Done.

Reply to
Triffid

Nah, far too technical for a woman. You need my skills. :-)

Reply to
Andy Luckman (AJL Electronics)