Mending small hole in canvas tent

Hi,
How can I mend a small hole in a canvas frame tent?
Thanks, Rich
Rich <spampamspam> wrote in message

Struth, that's a tough one. How about stitching a small piece of canvas over it? -- Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines (www.pumaracing.co.uk)
Dave Baker wrote:

that'll be 'strewth'
RT

In usage, perhaps, but "struth" could equally be correct as I think you'll find it's a contraction of "God's Truth"
PJM
On Thu, 9 Jun 2005 10:50:10 +0100, "Dave Baker"

The neadle holes make a row oftimy holes in the canvas, from meomory you also put some glue in there that fills up these holes, but I forget what type of glue...
Rick
Rick wrote:

Seam sealant?
--
Spamtrap in use
To email replace 127.0.0.1 with blueyonder dot co dot uk

With cotton canvas you don't need to worry too much about ordinary needle holes - a good soaking usually shrinks them down. You could of course use glue - often heavy cotton canvas is a bit heavy for a domestic sewing machine.
If you are going to patch it, make a sandwich of the tent fabric - do a patch both sides. Also, cut your patch with rounded corners as they tend not to peel the way square corners do
Jayne
Jayne wiffled:

Troll:
Sewing - definitely womans work :)
says...

Sewing machine = power tool

No wonder I normally only read posts here - should have known better than try to post.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk says...

Did you not notice the smiley?
Jayne wiffled:

No no no.
I was only pointing out that it took a woman to tell us How It's Done.

u calling me a woman ?

Nah, far too technical for a woman. You need my skills. :-)
Rich wrote:

I've done it surprisingly sucessfully using a small bit of duck (aka duct?) tape - the reinforced, grey, very sticky stuff. Zero hassle and reasonably long lasting, if inelegant!
This was on a man-made fabric, I have to say, which might well be less stickable-to than canvas.
--
David

On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:55:26 +0100, Rich <spampamspam> babbled like a waterfall and said:

See if you can find someone who knows the old process of "darning" as in socks. You will need a length of thread exactly like the canvas one though.
Done properly it is almost indistinguishable.
Rich wrote:

Hi Rich, try a camping shop - repair kits with canvas patches and a glue with the consistency of Copydex. Phil
On Thu, 09 Jun 2005 09:55:26 +0100, Rich wrote:

As Homer Simpson says: "if something is hard it's probably not worth doing"
Do you not get the feeling that this particular tent is trying to tell you something?
couldnt agree more - dump it and buy my trailer tent - oops was that an advert !