Memory Stick (maybe OT)

Timesonline's search facility isn't brilliant but I think this is what you saw:

- an article by David Hewison about

stejonda

I had one die on me a couple of months ago - I could read from it but not write to it.

It contained a backup of my company database, payroll and banking information. (I always back up to TWO pen drives having anticipated the possibility of this sort of occurrence)

I had one hell of a job getting CPC to send me another without sending the original back, containing sensitive data

So, whatever medium you store information on, just think what you would do if it failed under warranty and you wanted it replaced

Reply to
raden

In message , Paul Mc Cann writes

No - for several reasons

1/ What does the average person need so much backup memory for ? 5 gigs is a lot

2/ How long before you (or rather I) lose it, carrying it about from home to work?

3/ You can't just plug it into a computer unless you carry a card reader around with you all the time

4/ Err ...

Reply to
raden

Well, a 'power surge' might corrupt the backup while it's happening, but shouldn't affect the original. So just do it again.

And you can get removable drives - or backup to a second machine.

But I do backup 'essential' files to CD as well.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

That's the one, many thanks!

Yes DataDepositBox - I think I may take them up on their free 30-day trial. Uses 448-bit ("bank grade") encryption apparently, and normally costs 1 US cent per Mb uploaded

David

Reply to
Lobster

I was thinking of a destructive one that fried both disks....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

The latest snap shot digital cameras have 5 megapixels and=20 correspondingly large files. These are only going to get bigger.=20 Digital images, (those precious, uggh , memories) eat up storage space=20 and these are the very ones you are going to want to back up/transfer .

Also given that even the most modest computer has a 60gb or thereabouts=20 hard drive 5 gb is not going to go that far doing a back-up, whatever=20

128mb will do.=20 512mb and 1gb cf cards are now very cheap and offer a lot more=20 versatility than the average memory stick =20

Well I carry CF cards regularly and have yet to lose one, apart from=20 theft. Besides, whats to stop you from losing a memory stick ?

Memory card readers are very small and are available with the connector=20 built-in so its not even necessary to carry a cable. They plug straight=20 into the same socket as the memory stick. Besides how many computers=20 does the average person interface with? 2, 3 ? Its a lot easier having a=20 cf card reader attached to each one and sitting atop the cpu or=20 somewhere convenient than having to pull out the cpu to plug in the=20 memory stick if your computer doesn't have a usb socket on the front=20 panel.=20

Exactly. 128mb memory sticks are very restricted in what they can do. CF=20 /SD cards being usable in cameras, MP3 players and some of the newer=20 mobile phones are much more versatile devices IMHO.

--=20 Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann