Memory Stick (maybe OT)

That's as may be, but that doesn't prevent the term being used colloquially to refer to any type of solid state memory device which is sort of stick shaped (or not, it's a free country). I work at an educational establishment where these things are in widespread use and most non-techies refer to them as memory sticks.

Probably explains why the term is not used much in advertising for non-Sony products though :-)

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

They do, however, have the advantage that you can wear them around your neck in bed at night, which at least one writer uses as a safeguard against losing her current work in case of theft or fire.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

Forget memory sticks at al. Get a CF card, now up to 5gb (yes Gigabyte,=20 we're talking reals mans storage here) in certain guises, or an SD card.=20 You will need a card reader with it. That way when you get that new=20 multi megapixel camera you can use the same memory cards.

--=20 Paul Mc Cann

Reply to
Paul Mc Cann

1 Gig models are easy to pick up now and 2GB ones are almost here:

example.

Granted, still not a lot of use to back up a whole HD these days...

Darren

Reply to
dmc

A bit like referring to any old vacuum cleaner as a Hoover.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

transporting

Gigabyte,

And who is going to pay for the school to install card readers in all it's PCs?

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

You don't want to do that!

If you want a decent storage capacity then £100 or so will get a 20-40Gb USB external hard drive.

cheers

David

Reply to
David M

Nah... 'USB Memory Stick' is a far more common term, as reflected by a Google search:

'USB Pen Drive': ~2.36 million pages 'USB Memory Stick': ~5.96 million pages

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

Ahhh... but if you actually took the time to look at the results you would see that 4.93 million pages (or there abouts ;-)) for 'USB Memory Stick' actually refer to USB connected memory stick readers, for Sony Memory Sticks.

cheers

David

Reply to
David M

Not necessary - the card reader simply travels with the CF card. I think Paul's got a good point: maybe the OP already has a digital camera which takes memory cards, and doesn't raelise that all she needs is a card reader to use it as a 'memory stick' (with most cameras you don't even need the card reader, you can plug in the camera to a USB port and use it as an expensive 'memory stick'!)

Anyway, I bought a 10GBP USB 2 card reader off ebay a while ago to transfer pictures from the camera - it's the size of a matchbox and comes with a USB cable attached, and I regularly use it with my spare CF card almost permanently fitted, as a glorified memory stick to transfer data between PCs.

David

Reply to
Lobster

As others have said, your needs for backing up your PC are different from your daughters requirements in a memory stick...

Regarding backing up, I skimmed over a 'Doors' article in last Saturday's Times, intending to revisit before the paper got chucked out (oops), concerning an online system which apparently backs up your data to secure online storage, virtually as you type, which sounds fantastic. Can't find any mention of it at thetimes.co.uk unfortunately: does anybody have a link to it?

David

Reply to
Lobster

Almost here? I've had one for months.

Very useful for transferring videos from my home machine, which has the editing software, to work, where the video can be incorporated into my quality system technical file.

For backup at home I have a 300Gb external hard drive.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

OTOH, having a USB drive hanging around your neck is probably the latest fashion accessory at school.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

I wouldn't want my personal data floating over the internet!

Reply to
StealthUK

memory

I remain unconvinced.. :-)

Reply to
Mathew J. Newton

The message from Lobster contains these words:

No idea but that sounds suspiciously like the Microshit plan for total internet dominance that has all software as well as all files at a distant location with only the means of access on the local computer.

Reply to
Roger

Especially if MS has any control over it.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

The services I've seen offering this use a direct dialled phone connection. Being designed for business use, they are not cheap.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It does a bit doesn't it; however this definitely wasn't MS, and it was certainly a backup system. There are other online back systems I know of, like

but the one in Saturday's paper AFAIR keeps backing up the whole time, rather than on demand or to a predetermined schedule.

David

Reply to
Lobster

I assume it's encrypted (but that's one reason I'd like more details of the system!) I know that the the other similar system I know of, but haven't tested out

has up to 512-bit encryption. (And unless you're into industrial espionage or something, is anyone really going to go to the bother of cracking your personal data?)

David

Reply to
Lobster