Measuring up for wallpaper

Any tips on measuring up hallways and stairs for wallpaper? Some form of guestimate? Looks like it could take ages to do it accurately. ;-(

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

is your friend .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

Doesn't really save much time - no easy way for staircase.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Any wallpaper on them now? if not go all the way along the hall and make pencil markings the width of a piece of wallpaper and the stairs wall then measure the drop from ceiling to skirting from this you will then be able to gather how any pieces is required add it all together,see how many drops is got from a standard roll of wallpaper and allow a few inches for each drop.

Reply to
George

You could ask you next door neighbour if the house is the same.

When I did our landing/hallway I asked the guy nextdoor how many he had bought, because he had just done his. But when I was finished I had 5 rolls left over, when I mention this to the guy he said he had 5 roll left over as well! Baz.

Reply to
Baz

Pmsl

Reply to
George

FFS .It's not rocket science . measure the width to see how many roll widths it takes and mark each width on the wall and measure the length of the drops and work it out from there ...most places take back unused / unwrapped rolls .

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

I meant unused /still wrapped

Reply to
NOSPAMnet

It happens that Dave Plowman (News) formulated :

You cannot really achieve absolute accuracy. Go around the walls with a pencil marking the number of 'paper drops'. Now measure the longest length of each drop with an extra 6" added to each.

If the paper edges have to be matched, find out how far apart the matches are and add half of that to each drop length. Add all the drop totals together, then work out how many rolls to provide that length - you will then need to add one or two extra rolls to the total, to ensure you have enough. Usually the will agree when you buy, that you can take any surplus back for a refund.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Do you actually think I don't know how to do that? What I was hoping for was some clever other way.

Indeed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've not seen him do *anything* around the house - not even gardening. For decorating they get pros in.

Trouble is mine's different from other similar houses in the street due to alterations to the 2nd floor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But do check on restrictions if the paper is ordered in. Some manufacturers have a minimum quantity for return or impose a service charge to discourage returns. (And do make sure that you get enough if buying from B&Q or similar - when I worked at a Crown Decorator Centre we regularly had people coming in who had bought wallpaper at B&Q, wanted one more roll to finish the job and then discovered that it an obsolete pattern that had gone out of stock - we couldn't help them either.)

Reply to
Peter Johnson

Idly looking round the likes of B&Q they don't seem to stock a large enough number of rolls for this job anyway at any one branch. Any recommendations for an online place?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

He, he. The old ones are the best.

Reply to
soup

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

From my minimum experience of wallpapering, make sure you get the rolls from the same batch (the rolls are marked with a batch number) or there might be fractional variations in colour.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Phone a decorator to get a price to do the job and ask how many rolls you will need to get for him?

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Indeed - my thoughts were a experienced decorator would just look at the job to get a near enough guestimate. Can't see him spending ages measuring accurately. So wondered how?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Dave Plowman (News) coughed up some electrons that declared:

Probably instinct if he's a pro. And being well enough known at all the suppliers to buy a couple of rolls too many and get a refund on the unneeded ones.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

There are charts in stores & books or an online calculator here

would help with the hall & landing. The triangular bit over the stairs will be roughly half a square IYSWIM, so enter in the width & height and divide by two?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

When buying the paper I always ask if I can return the un-used rolls.

Dave

Reply to
Dave