Me again !! drilling through joists

I ahve drilled all the joists needed bar one, i used the shortened flat bit as suggested on here and it worked a treat.

the only one I cant do is the last one on the wall as the centre is much less (around 200mm) I cant get the drill in never mind the bit as well.

Would it be OK to get a long bit and drill the holes on an angle, coming in as flat as I can from the next joist, or do they have to be at 90 to the joist.

I dont really want to shell out on a 90 degree drill just for 5 holes !!!

many thanks in advance,

On another note the local BC office are "getting back to me" with regards them having to pay for part P !!!! :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

An extender like this might be an option - then work from the wider adjacent joist spacing:

dom

if you're using a flat bit cant you connect it to an extension and pass it through previous drilled holes ? or did the "shortened" mean it's met a hacksaw which would prevent putting an extension on it ?

Chris

Reply to
chris 159

Drilling at an angle will be fine - in fact it's the thing to do if cables are coming up from downstairs.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

the other joist hole, three are not, would it be OK regs wise to drill a hole in the next joist just to gain access for a bit?? or would the BCO rap me knuckles for drilling what could be an unnecessary hole?

does that make sense?

Reply to
Staffbull

22mm anyway as i bought one to shorten ( cheapo from Wilkinson)
Reply to
Staffbull

Thanks Si, I'll do that then !! sorted :-)

Reply to
Staffbull

Angled is fine.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't see it being a problem as long as the holes are not too close together - most houses end up riddled with holes over time anyway!

Reply to
John Rumm