MDF window sills

What is the best most secure way to fix an mdf window sill to a breeze block wall?

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

No More Nails or equivalent if you never want to remove it without damaging it.

Otherwise drill and counterbore, and make plugs from a piece of MDF. Screw the the cill to the wall and then fit plugs and sand over the top. These can be drilled out to gain access to the screws if you ever want to remove the cill.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Cills usually go outside, window boards go inside.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

In either case MDF is unsuitable as it is very prone to damp and will expand, bend etc

cheers

Jacob

Reply to
owdman

I hope you're wrong. I have great hopes of putting a newly painted corner unit made from MDF into my bathroom. I'm counting on several coats of paint to protect it from moisture.

Reply to
Mike Halmarack

==================== I think you're safe with MDF. Wickes and other such places sell ready-made window boards - 1" with bull nose and ready primed. They must have faith in their product.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

L shaped steel straps screwed to the underside of the board and then screwed to the wall work well. The straps are then hidden by the wall finish.

Sunshine Sid

MDF sills should be avoided. I know from experience that the surface degrades too quickly in real world use to be a product of any serious quality.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

It will last as long as the paint remains impermeable. Then it will turn into cheese. You can certainly do this, but I'd be wary of it.

A much better material is Valchromat - MDF with extra resin content, making it both water-resistant and also pre-coloured.

'd be amazed if an MDF outdoor sill lasted more than a winter or two.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Why would he want to do that and if he ever needed too what would he need to spare it for?

Most people use matic fixers these days. You need a selection of packers as the blockwork is notoriously uneven. Also be prepared to chisel off some of the blockwork if it's too high.

You need to make sure it all fits first. The standard width that seems to be supplied these days doesn't cross the modern courses on some windows. You want it to come proud of any plasterboarding on the walls if thee is going to be some at a later date.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Just for everybodies reference

The "sill" or window boards will be on the inside not outside..

Reply to
Lawrence Zarb

If you get a new build, the skirting, architraves and window boards will all be MDF. I suspect they are durable enough if painted properly. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

The message from Mike Halmarack contains these words:

Not to most people, nor my dictionary for that matter.

[Collins]

Cill - variant spelling used in the building industry for sill (senses 1 - 4)

Sill - 1. a shelf at the bottom of a window inside a room

No entry for window board

Reply to
Roger

It bends a lot less than softwood or hardwood.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

MDF is totally fine until it gets sopping wet.

Then it turns into soggy cardboard. However it is impregnated with resin, especially at the surface. Watch out for end grain though..that CAN soak stuff up. Several coats of paint are advisable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Just for everybodies (sic) reference, it's cill. LOL

Reply to
.

Sill comes from Old English syll, which in turn derives from the proto-Germanic/Indo-European words suljo/swel meaning beam. You find it as sulle, sille, svill, &c in various early Germanic languages. Never as cill - except that the OED allows cill as an occasionally used variant of sill. Occasionally by people who spell it wrong? ;-)

For everybody's reference. It's sill (or cill - but preferably sill). And it doesn't mean inside or outside - but either.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Yeah, cost cotting all over

well, mine wasnt. Maybe others will be luckier. I guess I just dont see much sense in installing something that will be a mess in 5 years when you can have real wood that will look good next century.

Enjoy your mdf!

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Exterior-grade MDF has been available for a quite a while - at least fifteen years. I remember when it was first introduced, my Dad (who works in the timber industry) had an un-painted/un-varnished piece which he left out in the back garden for a couple of years by way of a test and it suffered no ill effects, other than attracting a bit of surface moss/mould.

I don't know what it's bonded with to make it weatherproof - probably some variety of nasty chemical or other!

Reply to
Chris Cowley

So, of all the developments and variations in meaning and spelling throughout the ages, those used currently in the building industry are the ones disqualified from use by you? Sounds very John Cartmell to me. :-)

Reply to
Mike Halmarack