MCB compatibility with consumer units

Are MCBs and consumer units of different makes compatible with each other ?

I have a Clipsal consumer unit and the Wylex MCBs in B&Q say they can only be used in their NH range of Wylex boxes. However, on inspection, they look the right size and are type B as per my existing ones. They are also the same size.

I will be using the MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit so does the make of RCD device need to be specific to the MCB ?

Can anyone clarify ? Thanks.

Reply to
andy.hide

On 13 Oct 2005 08:20:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com scrawled:

Some are, some aren't. It's usually a case of lining up thye devices and checking for compatible busbar\DIN rail fixing positions.

Not sure on that tbh. To check, line the 2 MCB's up side by side and align the DIN rail mountings exactly together, check that the bottom cable hole on the MCB is in exact alignment. If i isn't, then don't use it as it will distort the busbar.

Nope, you can mix and match brands electrically as you please.

Reply to
Lurch

Have a look at the response to the message I got on this topic:

I will be using the MCB on the RCD side of the consumer unit so does

No requirements electrically. Just depends on mechanics again.

Reply to
John Rumm

Most DIN rail MCBs will physically fit and work in most DIN rail consumer units. However, most manufacturers say that their certification is only valid if the manufacturers match.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

The MCB will fit but upside down. This means that the switch is upside down. The Off/On position is marked but is this permissable?

I th> On 13 Oct 2005 08:20:43 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@dsl.pipex.com scrawled: >

Reply to
andy.hide

If it's of any use I've got several unused Clipsal MCBs that came as part of a complete CU kit from Screwfix. If they might be of use feel free to get in touch via

with the ratings you're after.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Personally, I would say no, this is not acceptable.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Came to fit this at the weekend.

The MCB can be fitted the correct way up it's just that the clip for attaching it to the DIN rail is on the bottom on the Wylex MCB whereas on the Clipsal ones they are on the top.

I agree that off looking like it was on would have been unacceptable.

Christian McArdle wrote:

Reply to
andy.hide

replying to Mathew Newton, ken wrote: Do you have a 50 amp B curve ? If so, how much?

Reply to
ken

replying to Mathew Newton, ken wrote: Do you have a 50 amp B curve ? If so, how much?

Reply to
ken

Good grief, no I don't - that was 13 years ago!

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Well what do you expect from a web site that presents posts on month only and disregards the years. Shows how observant the users are though, not.... Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Ebay usually does

NT