Matching a trailer plate to indesponsion unit

Hi all, sorry this isn't house related, but it's still DIY in terms of the work.

I need to replace the Indespenion units on my trailer. The new ones all seem to be a standard size with mounting holes 76mm apart. Fair enough, but the plates on my trailer that the old, knackered, ones are attached too have mounting holes that are slight off those centres.

Any suggestions for the best way to mount the new units? Stikes me some options are:

  1. Weld new plates on the trailer body, so they can be drilled with perfectly matching holes;
  2. Drill out the exiting holes a bit, so they are oval-ish and should be able to accommodate the new units. I don't like this idea much as they could work lose in the bigger, oversized holes.
  3. ???

Is there a better solution? A right or wrong way? After all, I don't want the suspection coming loose at 70mph on the motorway.

Thanks.

Reply to
Kal Ico

Especially as the speed limit for towing is 60mph.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

Not when you are towing on holiday in mainland Europe. I've towed, legally, at 80mph.

Reply to
SteveW

Sadly, something many of those towing don’t seem to observe. I often tow a trailer and we are all too often over taken when chugging along at 60, a comfortable speed at which things don’t rattle etc 😀

Reply to
Brian

The highest legal limit in any European country while towing is 120km/hr, or 75 mph. Generally it is lower.

Brian

Many many years ago, must have been the 1960s, My father was following a car towing an empty trailer. It was hilarious, as every tiny bump this thing went over started it bouncing up and down and slightly askew. It was going about 60mph or so, and we backed off as we thought, anytime now something is going to give way. Never did find out what happened, the people in the Hillman Minx towing it seemed oblivious to the situation. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

You could try a step drill

Reply to
fred

Some countries seem to have lowered their limit a little since then, but even that list has one (Slovakia) left at 130 km/h.

Reply to
SteveW

That is a problem when I am coming back from the tip. There is a road with numerous speed bumps, of the type that a car can just straddle - so much of the traffic manages to maintain 30mph, but I have to slow to a crawl to stop the empty trailer leaping 2 feet off the ground.

Reply to
SteveW

I have the same issue with my trailer when empty, much better though when its got a load of 250kg in it.....

When empty, It annoys the vehicles behind me as I have to really slow down approaching a hump and then speed up to 30 after passong that I've actually been overtaken while on the speed bumps.....

Reply to
SH

Yes but he isn't is he, so your remark is irrelevant.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

How do you know what use he may make of the trailer in the future? My own trailer is usually used for tip runs and picking up DIY stuff, but has been used for camping holidays in the UK and to carry cases, bikes, etc. when holidaying in Europe - it has been some years now, but who knows if we may do so again?

Reply to
SteveW

That's really quite unusual. Unless it's a box trailer the cargo is likely to get nicked.

Bill

Reply to
williamwright

It's an open topped trailer, with extension sides to double capacity if required and can use lift-off hinges (horizontally) on one side to allow a lid to slide on in the vertical position and which, when lowered, can be locked on the other side and cannot be slid off in the lowered position. The lid fits to either the trailer or the extension sides.

I have also towed with no lid, just a tarpaulin cover and just made sure that one of us remains with the car and trailer, until we've reached our destination.

Reply to
SteveW

That's a ludicrous assertion.

Bill